Revert to Windows 98 from XP for BIOS Upgrade

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2005 12:49:32 PM

I have a Dell Latitude CPi-A 366 Laptop that has a BIOS version 09.
Since I upgraded to Windows XP, my battery has stopped working. I'd
like to replace Windows XP with 98 so I can upudate the BIOS and then
put XP back on. But, the Laptop won't allow me to do this. Any
suggestions.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2005 8:29:49 PM

<kslerner@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Latitude CPi-A 366 Laptop that has a BIOS version 09.
> Since I upgraded to Windows XP, my battery has stopped working. I'd
> like to replace Windows XP with 98 so I can upudate the BIOS and then
> put XP back on. But, the Laptop won't allow me to do this. Any
> suggestions.

If the computer won't start on the battery from a powered down state the
operating system is not the cause. The Operating system does not come into
play until after the computer has powered up and completed it's power on
self test.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 10:50:15 AM

Since the battery is brand new out of the box, it isn't charged, so it
can't start up the PC. I need to charge the battery, but the battery
is not being recognized in either bay on the laptop. Are you saying
this has nothing to do with the Operating sysytem? If so, this must
mean that the PC battery charging components are broken.
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 10:50:23 AM

Since the battery is brand new out of the box, it isn't charged, so it
can't start up the PC. I need to charge the battery, but the battery
is not being recognized in either bay on the laptop. Are you saying
this has nothing to do with the Operating sysytem? If so, this must
mean that the PC battery charging components are broken.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 12:20:06 PM

kslerner@comcast.net wrote:

> Since the battery is brand new out of the box, it isn't charged, so it
> can't start up the PC. I need to charge the battery, but the battery
> is not being recognized in either bay on the laptop. Are you saying
> this has nothing to do with the Operating sysytem? If so, this must
> mean that the PC battery charging components are broken.

If your battery isn't being recognized by the system, this is much
earlier than the OS is being loaded, i.e., it's got nothing to do
with XP.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 3:09:51 PM

kslerner@comcast.net wrote:

> Since the battery is brand new out of the box, it isn't charged, so it
> can't start up the PC. I need to charge the battery, but the battery
> is not being recognized in either bay on the laptop. Are you saying
> this has nothing to do with the Operating sysytem? If so, this must
> mean that the PC battery charging components are broken.

Where did you get the battery and how old is it? If it's lithium-ion and
it's been sitting on the shelf long enough to self-discharge, then its
protective circuits may have kicked in and it cannot be charged.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On 17 Apr 2005 06:50:23 -0700, kslerner@comcast.net wrote:

>Since the battery is brand new out of the box, it isn't charged, so it
>can't start up the PC. I need to charge the battery, but the battery
>is not being recognized in either bay on the laptop. Are you saying
>this has nothing to do with the Operating sysytem? If so, this must
>mean that the PC battery charging components are broken.

Or the "new" battery is garbage. It happens, and if it is not from
Dell, I'd suspect that possibility first.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 11:13:01 PM

> Since the battery is brand new out of the box, it isn't charged, so it
> can't start up the PC. I need to charge the battery, but the battery
> is not being recognized in either bay on the laptop. Are you saying
> this has nothing to do with the Operating sysytem? If so, this must
> mean that the PC battery charging components are broken.
\
Yes I'm saying it has nothing to do with the operating system.

The battery, if viable and if all charging components are working would
charge if the harddrive was blank.

!