Sign in with
Your question

Triple Monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2011 11:08:07 PM

Hello

Im using a Geforce GTX 470 and a Geforce 210 as a secondary for the extra GPU needed to support the third monitor.. Now im running an triple monitor setup, I have three Acer 23".. they are all 1920x1080 making the screen 5760x1080.. So i want to play video games, and i figured out that if i went into the nvidia controls, that i could make my own screen resolution, so i did. I now can go into some games and it will have the custom resolution and I have to play in a window that stretches onto all screen, it works very well in EVE and a couple other games. My issue and question is, is it better to get a triplehead2go? I mean do i get to play in full screen and i wouldnt have to change settings. I know its kinda out dated but im just not sure what to do, I really wana play video games on three screens, im just not sure of my options. Would it be better to go for ATI chips? Ive never went with n e thing other than Nvidia.. soo im not sure how the picture would span out across the screens.

More about : triple monitors

a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2011 5:05:30 AM

I'd go for an ATI/AMD GPU if I wanted to go for anything beyond 2 screens..... especially for gaming....
m
l
January 22, 2011 7:40:26 AM

soo the triplehead2go would be a bad idea? i mean spending the money like 300$ for a new graphics card is worth it? i mean it just seems like its easier to get it.. cuz it formats games for me in full screen.. and i can bezzel with monitors.. The only thing.. is that its out dated and its DVI, I want HDMI..

here are my specs..

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.60ghz
Mem: 4 gbs
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX HDMI ATX AMD
Cards: Geforce GTX 470, Geforce 210
Power: 950w corsair
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2011 7:53:10 AM

Certainly spending 300$ on a new state of the art GPU is a lot more worth it than putting that 300$ in a triplehead2go.
You must not forget that with the triplehead2go you will need a GPU too, there is a table here at Toms for your reference

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/matroxs-triplehead2...

So the conclusion I'd draw from it would be, of course a good GPU supporting 3 to 6 monitors is better than the triplehead2go (God.... why do they have such a long name)
I'd suggest you go thru this review at toms , it'll spread some more light on the issue or doubt.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2011 1:23:34 PM

What you have now isn't that great. A GT 210 at 1080? You are better off with a single 5 series or better card with eyefinity, or an SLI setup so you can enable Surround view. (Nvidia's eyefinity tech) This would be far better then trying to use two separate cards like your using now.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2011 2:30:02 PM

If you already understand how Nvidia cards work then i say stay with what you have.Getting another GTX470 would be really great for running 3 monitors.It's almost a nessisity to be running a sli/crossfire on a 3screen setup to get good FPS.Adding another 470 will greatly increase your performance and it's what you need for a 3monitor setup.
I would really try to O.C. your prossesor.I'm sure even with just a single gtx470 you are bottlenecking it with your CPU speed.
m
l
January 22, 2011 8:00:45 PM

alyoshka said:
Certainly spending 300$ on a new state of the art GPU is a lot more worth it than putting that 300$ in a triplehead2go.
You must not forget that with the triplehead2go you will need a GPU too, there is a table here at Toms for your reference

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/matroxs-triplehead2...

So the conclusion I'd draw from it would be, of course a good GPU supporting 3 to 6 monitors is better than the triplehead2go (God.... why do they have such a long name)
I'd suggest you go thru this review at toms , it'll spread some more light on the issue or doubt.

soo what kind of graphics card can support 3 monitors? i mean something as good as the GTX 470 and can support up to 3.. can u link me something?

another thing is.. the triplehead2go makes gaming easier.. it automatically formats games to fit the screens.. when using 2 cards.. or SLI you have to customize the resolution and go into the game and play in windowed mode.. where i can see my toolbar on my desktop.. its ridiculous.. i just want to game while in full screen.. and have it not stretch on either side of the monitor.. i go into WoW and all it does it stretch and distort the image on the other screens.. i mean its kinda accurate but it makes things look closer than it really is..
m
l
January 22, 2011 8:05:30 PM

4745454b said:
What you have now isn't that great. A GT 210 at 1080? You are better off with a single 5 series or better card with eyefinity, or an SLI setup so you can enable Surround view. (Nvidia's eyefinity tech) This would be far better then trying to use two separate cards like your using now.

im only using the crappy gt 210 for the extra GPU needed for the other monitor.. i can run all games on triple screen maximum grpahics and around 60fps on 1080p.. so my main card... the GTX 470 is amazing..

ok.. wait a sec.. if i get another gtx 470.. and SLI (which i would need a bigger PS .. wouldnt I? ) i can go into the nvida setting and select someting called "Surround View"?
and it lets my games run in full screen.. 1080p.. and no distortion? because the tripleghead2go has a bezel software to make the image look perfect.. the only thing is.. the triplehead2go only supports DVI or DP .. and i want HDMI..
m
l
January 22, 2011 8:12:16 PM

purple stank said:
If you already understand how Nvidia cards work then i say stay with what you have.Getting another GTX470 would be really great for running 3 monitors.It's almost a nessisity to be running a sli/crossfire on a 3screen setup to get good FPS.Adding another 470 will greatly increase your performance and it's what you need for a 3monitor setup.
I would really try to O.C. your prossesor.I'm sure even with just a single gtx470 you are bottlenecking it with your CPU speed.

my cpu speed is completely fine.. im not touching that.. im not an O.C'er its to risky, and im not made of money..

The triplehead2go automatically formats the computer.. with one gtx 470.. it will let me play in full screen in 5760x1080 and i will b able to use the bezel system to correct image displacement.. isnt that what i need? tell me if any of this information is wrong.. the only thing is.. im not sure if this is right or wrong.. i see people on youtube with the triplehead2go and its exactly what i want.. but its outdated.. most games dont even recognize my triple monitor setup.. i mean i made my own custom resolution in the nvidia settings.. 5760x1080 i open crysis i go to setting i click on resolution.. the max i see is 1920x1080... wtf...

i think i might get another card.. but will i have to get a bigger power supply? or is a 950 good enough... im think no.. but.. im not sure..
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2011 8:27:11 PM

It is possible that the games your trying to play don't support the resoultoin you want.Might be why it's all stretched.

A 950watt is plenty,unless you want to do quad sli/crossfire.But even then i think it will be ok.

What card were you thinking of getting?I saw you mentioned about getting a Eyefinity card.Seems like a waste to go for an Eyefinity crossfire setup if you already have a GTX470.Just get another gtx470 and everything should be really smooth.
m
l
January 22, 2011 8:35:58 PM

purple stank said:
It is possible that the games your trying to play don't support the resoultoin you want.Might be why it's all stretched.

A 950watt is plenty,unless you want to do quad sli/crossfire.But even then i think it will be ok.

What card were you thinking of getting?I saw you mentioned about getting a Eyefinity card.Seems like a waste to go for an Eyefinity crossfire setup if you already have a GTX470.Just get another gtx470 and everything should be really smooth.

ok .. is there some special cord i should get to connect the two cards?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2011 9:18:42 PM

To connect the 2 cards together to run in crossfire it's called a Crossfire Bridge.
Is that what you were asking?
m
l
January 22, 2011 9:29:07 PM

purple stank said:
To connect the 2 cards together to run in crossfire it's called a Crossfire Bridge.
Is that what you were asking?

yes.. thank you very much..
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2011 10:25:02 PM

Except you can't SLI a GT210 and a GTX470. AMD basically rolled the Triplehead2go tech into their drivers with their 5 series cards. All their cards forward from that can do this. If you want something with the power of the GTX470, then a 5870, or 6950 would be fine. Nvidia requires the use of two cards to do what AMD can do with one. If you buy another GTX470 you can use an SLI bridge to link them and enable Surround view.
m
l
January 23, 2011 2:08:25 AM

4745454b said:
Except you can't SLI a GT210 and a GTX470. AMD basically rolled the Triplehead2go tech into their drivers with their 5 series cards. All their cards forward from that can do this. If you want something with the power of the GTX470, then a 5870, or 6950 would be fine. Nvidia requires the use of two cards to do what AMD can do with one. If you buy another GTX470 you can use an SLI bridge to link them and enable Surround view.

lol i know that i couldnt SLI the 210 with the 470.. its not even in the same series.. i just used it to run the other monitor.. and yeah im gonna SLI ill buy another 470.. sounds like its the best option..

does anyone know how to enable crysis in triple screen?.. i mean softth does nothing..
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 23, 2011 2:55:31 AM

Make sure you have a lot of Video memory on the 470.... a 512Mb will really kill the triple screen.....when using multi monitor setups, the Memory is High..... so requirements for VGA Memory is really high.....1Gb is going to cut it close, 2GB is going to be ideal..... make sure you do some reading of resolutions and video memory before you jump to another 470....
m
l
January 23, 2011 5:00:20 AM

alyoshka said:
Make sure you have a lot of Video memory on the 470.... a 512Mb will really kill the triple screen.....when using multi monitor setups, the Memory is High..... so requirements for VGA Memory is really high.....1Gb is going to cut it close, 2GB is going to be ideal..... make sure you do some reading of resolutions and video memory before you jump to another 470....

ok will do .. thnx a bunch!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 23, 2011 5:25:41 AM

I like the AMD solution better. I'd sell the GTS470, and then go buy a 6950. Should run 3 monitors just fine.

As for your problems running Crysis, that should go away once you're running a proper setup.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
January 23, 2011 4:35:32 PM

Dunno if he cares much about good quality FPS or just 3 monitors setup but just think of the sheer power of running x2 470's.You would get great fps and quality along with 3 monitors.
m
l
August 1, 2011 8:27:06 PM

Gday,

Im thinking of running a Geforce GTX470 plus a Geforce GT210 - purely so that I can run 3 monitors to use with Pro Tools 9.3 (no intention to use SLI).

Can anyone advise me if my Antec Truepower 650 watt power supply will be enough to support this ?

I already have the GTX470 in an Antec P193.... running Win 7-64, 6 Gb RAM on i7 930 2.8 Ghz CPU.

Any chance it will get too hot - the case has around 5 fans....

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
m
l
!