Gaming and some video/photo editing.

aggietoker

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Howdy everyone! I've been reading threads and reviews for the past few days and have decided that I want to upgrade my system.
I'm currently running a q660 2.4 OC'd at 3.2OC with SLI 8800gt's and 4gb of corsair xms (forgot the timings and speed). Windows 7 64.

I use this pc mostly for gaming (non dx11 games) but I'm looking forward to battlefield 3 but for the time being I want to keep my 8800gt's.
When I'm not gaming I'm doing some amateur video/photo editing.

I'm going to try and reuse the rest of my hardware and want to upgrade the cpu,motherboard, and ram. (case, psu, hd's, fans, blu-ray drive)

My PSU is a corsair tx650 ( I bought it in october 2010 to replace the original psu). It's rated for the i7 thought I'm not certain if the new ram will make a huge diff on it. I plan on upgrading it when BF3 comes out at which point I will upgrade my video cards and will certainly need a new PSU.

This is the hardware I've been considering.

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

Motherboard - ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Ram -CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 (8x8x8x24@1.5v)

Cooling - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Sub-total = $800

I'm not decided on the cooling for the cpu yet; my current rig had water cooling when I first built it but after about a year it crapped out, I guess I was supposed to add more coolant (It looked as if it dried up and the line cracked) so I went to air cooling and lowered my OC. I really liked the liquid cooling not just to overclock but to keep my cpu extra cool though I have read good things about Noctua air cooling. Any tips?

I don't plan on any significant OC'ing, maybe down the road when the new x68's or something come out I will just to feel like I've narrowed the gap in performance.

I have not looked much into solid state drives. Would I see a reasonable benefit on using one for say just video games?

By the end of the year I will have purchased a new PSU and an SLI or x-fire setup. I'm also considering a new case maybe an antec or coomaster that won't cost me over $100, I never liked this apevia case I currently use. Would it be wiser to just build a 100% new system now? I'm trying to salvage as many parts as I can to keep the cost under $1000 but I may just go all out and make a completely new system. I can't decide!

Skip the 2600K...total waste of money for gaming...google the reviews, skip the $200+ mobo ...Asrock extreme4 for $154 @ superbiiz, tone down the cpu cooler to something like a CM 212+ (SB cpu's run cool as ice), and then take that money and get a real gpu...something like a gtx 560.