My computer will not shut down

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
... This is an on going problem.. im figuring its motherboard or psu..

it all started with my 2.5 year old quad core sli rig would start going to black screens, which turned into colored screens.. which turned into black screens before even boot screen

tried with 1 video card.. tried with the other video card.. tested monitors.. all turned out not to be the culprit cause the problem still was around!

Tried restoring to different dates.. tried updating and changing out drivers.. no avail

so.. think im down to mobo or motherboard..

i go buy a corsair gs700 to see if that can clear it up.

everything seems to work fine with it BUT.. due to not enough 6 pins (i needed 4x 6 pin). im giong to have to return it. Before I did and just assumed that it was the power supply. i plugged back in my 850 watt nzxt. AND IT WORKED FINE

so i was back trying to figure what is going on..

then i power down the computer.. the computer exits windows and seems to have logged out of everything BUT DOESNT STOP RUNNING! fans going led lights on everything. i hold the power button down for 20 seconds.. no response

finally pull the plug on the computer. i start it back up to see what happens and it starts up just fine and gives me no sort of error about windows shutting down incorrectly. get back in to desktop and boot down and it does the exact same thing..

this sound like a psu problem?

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
It sounds like a motherboard problem. On archaic systems you would have to flip a switch after the OS had notified that it was OK to power down, but I think that was before the ATX specification and so the motherboard had no way of controlling the PSU (therefore no software shut down).

Perhaps it's a software incompatibility with your operating system and the motherboard. I somehow doubt that it's a PSU problem, but you could try fitting another one to eliminate possible causes.

Obviously do the usual things such as updating the BIOS, googling your motherboard model to see if anyone else has the same problem, installing different operating systems, reinstalling whatever operating system you're running at the moment, etc. I have a dell optiplex GX260 and it won't power down under Linux - it will go in an endless cycle of power down then instant reboots. It powers down fine under windows, so it's obviously a software problem. Yours could be similar.

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

yea strange thing is after 2.5 years it has never had a problem and i had not changed anything for a month when this started besides windows update and anti-virus updates. Already using the latest BIOS although, for the Asus P5N-T Deluxe, they stopped making BIOS in like 2008 for a board that was not that old