Toshiba Satellite 5205 series - replacing the DVD drive

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 16, 2005 8:16:07 PM

I have a friend trying to replace the DVD drive on a 5205-s702, and
it's more trouble than she expected. I haven't looked at it myself,
but she's pretty good at this kind of thing so if it's giving her
trouble it must be difficult. Can anybody give me a lead on a repair
manual for this series? I've seen people selling CDs with PDFs of
these on Ebay but a download would get her up and running a lot
faster.

Alternatively, if it's not that complicated and somebody could just
tell me how to swap out the DVD drive on one of these...

Andy
April 16, 2005 8:54:15 PM

According to the instructions I have it requires complete disassembly
of the unit. If you post your email address I will send you the
complete instructions in WORD format. Good luck

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:16:07 GMT, me@here.com wrote:

>I have a friend trying to replace the DVD drive on a 5205-s702, and
>it's more trouble than she expected. I haven't looked at it myself,
>but she's pretty good at this kind of thing so if it's giving her
>trouble it must be difficult. Can anybody give me a lead on a repair
>manual for this series? I've seen people selling CDs with PDFs of
>these on Ebay but a download would get her up and running a lot
>faster.
>
>Alternatively, if it's not that complicated and somebody could just
>tell me how to swap out the DVD drive on one of these...
>
>Andy
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 2:28:38 AM

There are "shortcut" ways to replace the drive in some models. For
example, the service manual for the 2805 calls for complete disassembly,
but in fact you can do it by removing the keyboard, and then 3 screws,
and sliding the drive out from the side. Not the way suggested by the
service manual, but it works fine.

RMA wrote:
> According to the instructions I have it requires complete disassembly
> of the unit. If you post your email address I will send you the
> complete instructions in WORD format. Good luck
>
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:16:07 GMT, me@here.com wrote:
>

>>I have a friend trying to replace the DVD drive on a 5205-s702, and
>>it's more trouble than she expected. I haven't looked at it myself,
>>but she's pretty good at this kind of thing so if it's giving her
>>trouble it must be difficult. Can anybody give me a lead on a repair
>>manual for this series? I've seen people selling CDs with PDFs of
>>these on Ebay but a download would get her up and running a lot
>>faster.
>>
>>Alternatively, if it's not that complicated and somebody could just
>>tell me how to swap out the DVD drive on one of these...
>>
>>Andy

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 8:42:06 PM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:54:15 -0400, RMA <rma@hotmail.com> wrote:

:>According to the instructions I have it requires complete disassembly
:>of the unit. If you post your email address I will send you the
:>complete instructions in WORD format. Good luck

Well your instructions are totally wrong. One screw in the bottom of the
laptop (real obvious if you look at the base in the area of the drive) and
one screw under the keyboard (again very obvious) and the drive slips right
out. If it takes you more than a minute total to get the drive out then you
probably shouldn't be doing it yourself. :-)

me/2

:>On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:16:07 GMT, me@here.com wrote:
:>
:>>I have a friend trying to replace the DVD drive on a 5205-s702, and
:>>it's more trouble than she expected. I haven't looked at it myself,
:>>but she's pretty good at this kind of thing so if it's giving her
:>>trouble it must be difficult. Can anybody give me a lead on a repair
:>>manual for this series? I've seen people selling CDs with PDFs of
:>>these on Ebay but a download would get her up and running a lot
:>>faster.
:>>