Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Full Tower or Half Case

Last response: in Components
Share
June 27, 2011 12:47:07 AM

Been looking and building a second computer.. debating whether to pull apart an older computer and use its Apevia Jupiter X case or if i should get a new case like the HAF 912 which is cheap and i hear good things on the HAF's

Concern is of course heat!

More about : full tower half case

June 27, 2011 12:54:46 AM

angry12345 said:
Been looking and building a second computer.. debating whether to pull apart an older computer and use its Apevia Jupiter X case or if i should get a new case like the HAF 912 which is cheap and i hear good things on the HAF's

Concern is of course heat!


The Apevia looks like a descent case. If you are still rockin stock fans, I would take those out and put some high airflow new ones, but otherwise why create more waste when u can recycle the case.
June 27, 2011 5:06:10 AM

I just got the HAF X and im very happy with it the HAF 932 is also very nice as both have very nice fan setups. For example the HAF x case full tower has a 230 mm fan on the front, and a 200 mm fan on the side also comes with one 200 mm fan on the top of the case with room for one more 200 mm fan. Another nice thing about these two cases is the GPU air duct. At first i thought they were referring to the side fan duct but no inside the case is a bracket that holds a 120 mm fan ( i used a scythe ultra kaze its 110 cfm!) that blows air cross flow across the gpu's it also adds support to sli setup in that its a bracket and it holds that end of the cards.

Not only is it a good stock air cooled case, the Haf x and Haf 932 are big enough to accomodate water cooling, add the largest hardware on the market (motherboards and GPUS) , stock fan filters , and you can rest assured any upgrades in the future will be able to fit inside. The case is all black and very nice looking as well. The only drawback of either design is the windows arent really big enough to see your graphics cards. Call me a nerd but if i SLI i want to see those bad boys! and yeah the fans on the side of the case block all that. If you Modded that case adding a side panel window and water cooled either of these full towers it would look just sick. :sol: 

P.s. You can get a haf 932 or Haf x for a really decent price if you shop around and look for them to go on sale at the big name online stores they always do.
Related resources
June 27, 2011 3:06:42 PM

denzel81 said:
I just got the HAF X and im very happy with it the HAF 932 is also very nice as both have very nice fan setups. For example the HAF x case full tower has a 230 mm fan on the front, and a 200 mm fan on the side also comes with one 200 mm fan on the top of the case with room for one more 200 mm fan. Another nice thing about these two cases is the GPU air duct. At first i thought they were referring to the side fan duct but no inside the case is a bracket that holds a 120 mm fan ( i used a scythe ultra kaze its 110 cfm!) that blows air cross flow across the gpu's it also adds support to sli setup in that its a bracket and it holds that end of the cards.

Not only is it a good stock air cooled case, the Haf x and Haf 932 are big enough to accomodate water cooling, add the largest hardware on the market (motherboards and GPUS) , stock fan filters , and you can rest assured any upgrades in the future will be able to fit inside. The case is all black and very nice looking as well. The only drawback of either design is the windows arent really big enough to see your graphics cards. Call me a nerd but if i SLI i want to see those bad boys! and yeah the fans on the side of the case block all that. If you Modded that case adding a side panel window and water cooled either of these full towers it would look just sick. :sol: 

P.s. You can get a haf 932 or Haf x for a really decent price if you shop around and look for them to go on sale at the big name online stores they always do.


lol yea.. if i had my ultimate choice.. id go with a HAF-X, but being that new everything.. trying to cut costs where i can, thus being old case or a HAF-912 smaller case.

The Apevia works really well at keeping cool, I will say. Running a Thermaltake V1 (aint they purdy?)in it and going to get a Thermaltake FRIO if i get a new case. my quad cores never get over 45 degrees and gpus never over 63 even while running benchmarking. The concern is if I do go with teh cheaper mid tower case how much are those temps going to shoot up with a i7 and gtx570 (going to spend cash on one REALLY good card instead of 2 good cards)
June 27, 2011 3:58:09 PM

If you get a tower style air cooler that can be mounted vertically and a stock design 570GTX (rear exhaust), than you will not see significant temp bumps at all. Heck you can go with something like a h60 or a khuler 620 for even less in case hot air.

While the HAF cases and all the other new max airflow cases are great, they get dusty very very fast, unless you want to go on there every month with a can of air, you will get dust build up. Some cases have air filters, these are great too, except you get to remove and clean those almost every month too...
June 27, 2011 5:30:14 PM

vilenjan said:
If you get a tower style air cooler that can be mounted vertically and a stock design 570GTX (rear exhaust), than you will not see significant temp bumps at all. Heck you can go with something like a h60 or a khuler 620 for even less in case hot air.

While the HAF cases and all the other new max airflow cases are great, they get dusty very very fast, unless you want to go on there every month with a can of air, you will get dust build up. Some cases have air filters, these are great too, except you get to remove and clean those almost every month too...


what is a case you would recommend? I am guessing, more airflow = more dust so you just gotta pick your tradeoff

System will only be on MAYBE 20 hours a week and i keep it about 10" off the ground in a location with nobody else (although there is carpet)

Best solution

June 28, 2011 11:21:11 PM
Share

The amount of dust depends on where your computer is. I have filters, but don't have to clean them out often (actually, only have once in one year) and I still have great temps.

I'd recommend the HAF 912 because it's large for a mid tower case, and the HAF series is designed very well.
June 29, 2011 2:18:52 PM

Best answer selected by angry12345.
June 29, 2011 2:59:56 PM

In addition, Cooler Master does make fan filters for their cases, so if you do need them, you don't have to modify anything/much.
!