Strange Audio Issue

donwan33

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
The problem:
I have been having a very strange issue the last little while surrounding audio. I tunes, vlc and power dvd all play music and then occasionally ( at any moment) stops playing audio. When I click a song to play it starts and then immediately stops playing. at first I thought it was only an I tunes issue so I uninstalled it, and re installed and there was no change. The audio basically plays adhoc. occasionally in I tunes it will do something very strange the song will stop playing and you can see the program trying to play every song and it goes right up the list selecting and failing to play every song right up to the beginning, and no surprise when it reaches there it stops trying to select. When I click a song it goes back to trying to play and then immediately stops.

VlC is also crashing with video playback which I think may be linked to this because the same sort of thing is happening where i will be watching something it crashes 20 mins. later and then i cant reopen the video file, and if i do it will not allow me to skip forward. I have tried going into my audio drivers and disabling defaults and switching a few things around and there is no change.

perhaps it is worth mentioning the following;
I occasionally have an issue where certain keys will jam up in my keyboard and when i yank the usb plugs from the motherboard and put them back in it all goes back to working fine. The keyboard is suppose to have a direct link to both i tunes and windows media centre. since I have had this keyboard my pc has been acting up. but I cant tell if it is coincidence or related. above all i have a very hard time believing the keyboard is triggering this, but I think it could be.

online videos and audio play with no problem. system sounds all work. gaming works fine with no crashing.

I am thinking a few things;

I have a ram issue,

or a power supply that is bottlenecked and causing my PC to be very unstable.

or i have an issue with my video card which is streaming the audio video to my Denon receiver (which when I think about it) could very easily come back to my power supply which may be inadequate.

I have also been told by some people that perhaps i have to much crap in my computer : ) and there could be drivers conflicting.

My pc Specs are as follows:

Corsair H70 liquid cooling,
Corsair 950 watt PSU
3.4 ghz 965 AMD black edition CPU (overclocked),
crosshair 5 formula motherboard,
sapphire HD 5870,
5x 2tb green drives,
1x SSD 120 gb OCZ drive,
8 gb ddr3 ram,
wireless card,
raid controller card,
bluray writer reader,
multi card reader,
7 fans.
razor back-light keyboard and 4000 dpi optical mouse which are powered off the mobo.
... and i think that is about it.

Thank you all for your time and help trying to sort this mess out.

perhaps it is worth mentioning the following;
I occasionally have an issue where certain keys will jam up in my keyboard and when i yank the usb plugs from the motherboard and put them back in it all goes back to working fine. The keyboard is suppose to have a direct link to both i tunes and windows media centre. since I have had this keyboard my pc has been acting up. but I cant tell if it is coincidence or related. above all i have a very hard time believing the keyboard is triggering this, but I think it could be.

Just a possibility: But its possible you have too many devices on a single USB hub, and your PC can't supply enough power to cover all the devices. Depending on the situation, your keyboard might be deactiving for a split second, messing up the audio programs that can be interfaced with the keyboard. Makes some sense, as other audio playback seems to work fine...