First Build CPU Fan Help

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Ok , so I apologize for the noob questions, but this is my first build, and i want to do it right.

My NH D14, uses two 3 prong cords, while there is only one CPU plug in that has 4 Prongs. Do I simply plug both fans onto the sys fans (which are 3 prong), or do I use the Y split cable to plug both of them into the CPU plug in (while leaving one prong unused)? Or does it even matter

Thanks!

Solution
Use the y-splitter to connect both fans to the CPU header. The header is 4-pin, but a 3-pin will fit just fine on it leaving one pin un-used. The header is keyed so you can only install the 3-pin fan lead the correct way.

In the BIOS, you will want to make sure fan control is not set to PWM (requires 4-pin fan). Instead, set it to voltage controlled or similar if you want the fans to speed up and slow down in response to CPU temps. It depends on your motherboard how to set it. If you leave fan control disabled, the fans will run 100%, and that may be OK if you don't mind.

I wouldn't use the sys fan plugs... your computer might throw a fit when it detects the CPU fan is at 0 rpm. You can disable alarms like that... but...
Use the y-splitter to connect both fans to the CPU header. The header is 4-pin, but a 3-pin will fit just fine on it leaving one pin un-used. The header is keyed so you can only install the 3-pin fan lead the correct way.

In the BIOS, you will want to make sure fan control is not set to PWM (requires 4-pin fan). Instead, set it to voltage controlled or similar if you want the fans to speed up and slow down in response to CPU temps. It depends on your motherboard how to set it. If you leave fan control disabled, the fans will run 100%, and that may be OK if you don't mind.

I wouldn't use the sys fan plugs... your computer might throw a fit when it detects the CPU fan is at 0 rpm. You can disable alarms like that... but just connect them to the CPU fan header.

Solution