Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO No boot - can't reach BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
February 29, 2012 10:36:30 AM

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Black screen. Can not reach BIOS. Does not boot from CD.

This computer has worked for three months without problems.
It has never been overclocked. Processor temperature always below 50 centigrade.
Specifications:
Motherboard : P8Z68-V PRO
Processor : Intel i5 2500K
Cooling : Antec Kühler 620
Memory : Corsair Vengeance 4+4 GB
SSD : Corsair 60 GB Force GT Series SATA III
HDD : 2 x 500 GB Seagate
Graphics : ASUS GeForce GTX 650
Optical : Samsung BluRay SH-B123L
Chassis : Fractal Design R3 well ventilated
OP : Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

When there was only 2 GB free on the SSD we decided to change the boot order in BIOS since we a week ago had made a clone of the SSD on one of the HDD:s.
Now we used the ‘advanced’ BIOS panel. The machine refused to boot ( missing MBR ). Probably wrong HDD – tried the other one. Same result. Obviously made a mistake when cloning.

OK – back to the original (SSD) BOOT order using the ‘default’ BIOS panel . Possibly we misunderstood the ‘boot’ symbols here. Now the machine refused to boot.
Black screen. Can not reach BIOS. Does not boot from CD.

Indicator LEDS on the motherboard :
CPU-LED : OK
DRAM-LED : OK
VGA-LED : Constant light !!
BOOT-DEVICE –LED : Does not react.

Tried to ;
1. Remove the graphics card ( processor has its own graphics )
2. Zero the RTC ( removed battery and used the jumper )
3. Disconnect HDD:s
4. Disconnect SSD
None of these tries had effect.
It has to be added that we just prior to this experiment had downloaded a new driver for the graphics card. This download was made from the ASUS homepage.
Would appreciate help from the clever members of the forum.

Sten Kristensson / SWEDEN
a b V Motherboard
February 29, 2012 11:45:57 AM

try pulling two sticks of ram a2 b2 also disconnect the all hdd's, cd drive all keyboard mouse to rule out a power issue . what size psu do you have, and did you have both hdds connect and marked as primary partitions?

March 1, 2012 8:02:54 AM

the great randini said:
try pulling two sticks of ram a2 b2 also disconnect the all hdd's, cd drive all keyboard mouse to rule out a power issue . what size psu do you have, and did you have both hdds connect and marked as primary partitions?

I have tried all your suggestions without result. My PSU is a Fractal Design R2 650 W. It has to be stressed that the machine functioned flawless for three months. I probably made a mistake when making the clone
of the SSD on one of the HDD:s but despite this, both HDD:s worked fine when used as normal 'storage' media.

The great problem is that I can't reach the BIOS
Related resources
March 1, 2012 11:47:49 AM

Regardless of the fact that this mobo had been working I would reduce it to its bare minimum.
Take everything out except the CPU. Reseat the Ram and use only 2 sticks in slots a2 and b2.
remove all drives so that you have a minimal configuration.
Once you have done that clear the cmos and try to power on.
If you still have trouble then swap the RAM for the other 2 sticks you have and use them in the same slots.
If that doesn't work you need to try another PSU.
After that you could try reseating the cpu but be careful as the pins are quite fragile.
Make sure the heatsink is properly seated.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 12:48:21 PM

Accessing the BIOS has zip to do with the OS. Further, most folks don't clear CMOS properly; see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

Before doing a Breadboard unplug EVERYTHING not needed to Post: All headers (USB, Fans except CPU, etc), 1 stick of RAM in 2nd slot from CPU, ALL ODD/HDD/SSD disconnect SATA cables, ALL front panel, and ALL peripherals including your Keyboard/Mouse.

Start = (with a screwdriver touch PWR + GND)

If the PC can remain 'on' then shutdown and add (1) item at a time.

More than likely either the PSU has gone bad -- never get a cheap PSU -- or the MOBO.
!