Dual channel, different RAM

tlmck

Distinguished
It could be the brand of ram you bought is not compatible with that motherboard. Unfortunately, I could not find a compatibility list on the ECS web site.

edit: I have not used an ECS board in years, but I recall Corsair ram was always compatible.

Bratunoff

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I have 2 x APACER DDR2 2GB UNB PC2-6400 CL5 and 2 x ZEPPELIN DDR2 2GB 800\1288 UL CL5.
I don't know what's the problem, the computer is running , I can watch movies, listen music, browse internet, but when I'm playing (for ex. Battlefield 2 or Alan Wake), after 10-15 minutes PC freeze without BSOD. Mass Effect 2 is running without problems. This drives me crazy. I'm sorry for bad english.

tlmck

Distinguished
Not really familiar with those brands of ram, but you might try downloading and running this free program. It is essentially a stress test for your ram. http://www.memtest86.com/

It could be the programs you describe crashing, are severely taxing your ram, or some other part of your system, whereas Mass Effect is not.

Bratunoff

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

THX, I'll try this and I'll answer soon

Bratunoff

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

memtest86 gives me nothing: 3 passes without errors.
I ran 3dmark vantage: on Performance preset, pc runs very well. On Extreme Preset pc froze. This makes me think that video card is the trouble.

Lutfij

Titan
hey there!

your 2nd post states the problem with the freeze. Don't mix+match dimms. they are from different brands/companies. This mean the dimms were binned differently. they also might not show dif timings but they very well behave differently internally.

does the freeze occur when you use only one kit of a brand like zeplin or the apacer.

go back to vendor and replace all dimms with one kit of 4 dimms or better yet try to macth the serial for the dimms and pick up 4 of one brand.

where dya live?

just to be sure please post full system specs.
which nvidia driver you using for the 9600GT?

i've seen people run burn tests for hours on end without an issue but when gaming they encounter BSOD's to no screen's to frozen screens. its the rams mate.

Bratunoff

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

Hi man.Yes, the PC freezes when I'm using only one kit of each RAM.Froze with Apacher and froze with Zeppelin. Mixed or not, this little piece of...metal continues to freeze. It's possible that these two kits are defective?

CPU: TripleCore AMD Phenom X3 8650, 2143 MHz.
Motherboard: ECS IC780M-A .
RAM: 2x2GB Zeppelin 2G/800/1288 UL CL5
2x2GB Apacer 2GB UNB PC2-6400 CL5
Video: Zotac GeForce 9600 GT 512MB GDDR3.Driver 8.17.12.9573 - nVIDIA ForceWare 295.73 (latest).

BTW, I ran 3dmark vantage, on "Performance Preset" and it runs perfect.
On "Extreme Preset"(operations per second), pc dies, froze.

Sorry for my bad english.

Lutfij

Titan
run memtes with each stick on each slot and got up to test # 5. if they pass upto 5 then they are fine.

otherwise i will later suspect the ram slots. can you return the dimms and get 2 kits from the same make/model?

Bratunoff

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

Oh man...I spent 2 days with this piece of junk.Memtest gives me nothing,like always:5 passes with all kits together, and 5 passes on each kit separately. I'm just... tired. I think I will go to service center.