Sign in with
Your question

GPU Core Clock running low in less demanding games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 22, 2011 3:24:52 PM

Im running a GTX 460 currently at a core clock of 900MHz which works fine in games such as Crysis or Napoleon the problem comes in games like World of Warcraft. About 10 minutes after the game has launched my graphics card comes down from 900MHz to 405MHz (The same clock as when the PC is idle) this causes the game in the most detailed areas to drop from 70fps to 30fps. 30 is noticeably laggy compared to 70 so I was wondering is there anyway to allow the game to utilizes the 900MHz clock constantly?
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2011 10:39:27 PM

The card really shouldn't be doing that. Have you upgraded to the newest drivers and check that your PC has good airflow so the card isn't throttling itself so heat won't fry it?
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2011 11:02:27 PM

All my new gen dx 11 cards do that. Mostly in guild wars, it kills my fps and untill i get somewhere more intensive it wont kick up
Related resources
January 24, 2011 3:43:14 PM

Oops sorry, forgot i posted this. At the moment im on the Forceware 266.58 drivers which I think are the newest, im not sure about good airflow but the card never gets above 55 degrees C even on the most demanding games.

Anyways my problem sounds exactly the same as cia24, fps is killed on less graphically intensive games.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 12:25:33 AM

That's a bummer, I buy GPUs because i beleive that the card will perform at its best in all games all the time regardless of whether it is intense or not.
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 12:29:35 AM

LilDeamon said:
Oops sorry, forgot i posted this. At the moment im on the Forceware 266.58 drivers which I think are the newest, im not sure about good airflow but the card never gets above 55 degrees C even on the most demanding games.

Anyways my problem sounds exactly the same as cia24, fps is killed on less graphically intensive games.

Is v sync enabled or not if not enable it it will stick it at 60fps does work in guild wars for me lol
January 25, 2011 4:13:43 PM

v sync is enabled cause otherwise i get excessive screen tears, but anyways it still goes down to 405MHz and 20-35 fps :/ 
January 26, 2011 10:18:33 AM

Same EXACT issue here. I have 2 450 GTS's but my 2 9600gt's performed way better do to this Underclocking issue. My 450's idle at 50mhz core at desktop, then if I'm lucky the cards will rev up to 925mhz for a min then back down to 405mhz then stay there while my game is stuttering, then back up to 925mhz and back down a few times until my computer reboots itself because it can obviously detect a problem, I bought these cardds for best performance, all they do is make me want to make the swith to ATI (have you seen the price for the cards they have) HELLO NVIDIA?
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2011 1:17:00 PM

pwstevens1234 said:
Same EXACT issue here. I have 2 450 GTS's but my 2 9600gt's performed way better do to this Underclocking issue. My 450's idle at 50mhz core at desktop, then if I'm lucky the cards will rev up to 925mhz for a min then back down to 405mhz then stay there while my game is stuttering, then back up to 925mhz and back down a few times until my computer reboots itself because it can obviously detect a problem, I bought these cardds for best performance, all they do is make me want to make the swith to ATI (have you seen the price for the cards they have) HELLO NVIDIA?

Lol yeah but my issues are only in guild wars other games i dont have a problume. but i pla at 1920x1080p
!