Ram looks burned, reason for bsod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnukyguy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
ive had bsods on a computer that happens like every 3-4 months on a computer that runs 30 minutes every day.
analyzing the dumps have not helped since they dont pinpoint any specific hardware/driver...(sometimes scsiport.sys or ntkrpamp etc)
also sometimes the dumps have not been created, or they have been corrupted

I tried a tons of things to fix it to no avail, then I decided to take out the RAM sticks, and discovered one stick with burned gold connectors.....can this be the reason for the bsod's? computer is not giving any errors when the ram is tested in bios, and computer does not crash when testing the memory with prime...

ramstick.jpg

Solution
Yes, the lack of plating could easily cause an electrical interruption causing an immediate BSOD. Replace the stick, or the set if it is paired with another module.

Also, check the DIMM to be sure it is not also burned. If it is, I would replace the motherboard and the RAM.
Yes, the lack of plating could easily cause an electrical interruption causing an immediate BSOD. Replace the stick, or the set if it is paired with another module.

Also, check the DIMM to be sure it is not also burned. If it is, I would replace the motherboard and the RAM.

Solution

fnukyguy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
why replace the set?
I had two identical sticks installed (1 GB each), one burnt, one looks ok...
right now Im only using the OK one...I only need 1gb RAM on the computer anyways...

xfiled63701

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

i can think of several reasons for burnt ram:1)bios overclock of the memory:2)flexing the mb during memory or part install(pressure applied to the mb):3)dropped tower maybe(memory mighta slipped outta socket partially):4) memory pairs dont match voltages:5)motherboard shorting out at memory socket after temperature rise in circuitry

fnukyguy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008

how about sudden powerloss?
that has happened quite a few times with this computer...I dont have the computer connected to a UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.