Your question

New Computer Problems

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2011 1:10:12 AM

Hey guys, as the title suggests, I am having some trouble with my new computer I just built. Here is a list of the parts.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL120GB-DX 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact"

XFX HD-695X-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

XFX XXX Edition P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Storytime!

So basically, I had this thing up and running last Thursday. The installation was simple enough and I took every precaution there was to building my computer. The ONLY problem I ran into was that at first, the computer would not boot up, more specifically, the computer would startup for 2 seconds, then shut down, and etc. looping on and on. After reseating my CPU, the computer managed to boot and post. I installed W7 and other various drivers. Come this Saturday, I woke up only to find that my computer had begun the previous looping action as stated before. It would turn on for 2 seconds then turn off. After going through every item on the checklist carefully, I decided to breadboard my computer. I am at least 90% sure it is not my GPU, RAM, SSD, HDD, or Case but convince me otherwise. The more suspicious parts are my Motherboard, CPU, PSU, and 212 cooler. After testing my PSU on two other computers AS WELL AS using an old PSU on my new build, I came to the conclusion that it was not my PSU. So the problem lies either with the Motherboard or CPU. Do you guys at TH think i've done all I can? I already sent in a RMA request from Newegg.com and will ship out my MOBO and CPU soon. PLEASE give me any insight into what might be wrong, and if this is just a case of a faulty MOBO/CPU.

SORRY FOR THE WALL OF TEXT

Edit: ALSO, one thing that really puzzled me was that the internal case speaker MADE NO SOUND AT ALL. No beeps to tell me what was wrong. No beep to tell me that I had no memory installed. Just pure silence. Hope this helps.

More about : computer problems

March 27, 2011 5:47:21 PM

Try reseating the CPU again, the HSF is spinning?
m
l
March 27, 2011 9:54:18 PM

I've tried reseating it. The fan spins for 2 seconds then shuts off. I still have no way to tell if it's the CPU or Mobo. I'm also scared that another part might have shorted these components.
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2011 11:57:23 PM

You have the same symptoms you had before, breadboard it again and try first with the CPU only, next add a stick of RAM. It might be a short in your case, did you use the standoffs for the mobo? Make sure the HS backplate doesn't touch the case, it's pretty common.
m
l
March 28, 2011 4:34:05 AM

I did use the standoffs. Installing one stick of ram didn't help. In fact the mobo doesn't even make a sound that tells me No ram is there. The HS was not touching the case but I noticed a small screw that wa touching the HS on the mobo.
m
l
!