Sign in with
Your question

Voltage and Temp problems with GA990FXA-UD3 Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
February 29, 2012 1:49:49 PM

Hi Everyone,

I recently built a rig with a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard, and Phenom II X4 955 BE, and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. For the most part things went smoothly, however the motherboard didn't detect any of the default specs of my components corectly. This brings me to my first problem.

I'm pretty sure the stock voltage for my cpu is supposed to be 1.35 volts. However, my motherboard detected it to be 1.4 volts. I tried to change it in the bios, so it read 1.3 volts (just to see if this would make a difference in temps). AMD Overdrive didn't recognize the voltage change, so I'm not sure if it actually did anything. Moreover, there was no difference in temperatures, so I'm not sure it the voltage was actually changed. But this brings me to my second problem.

I think there is something wrong with the the motherboard's temp readings. When I turn on my computer, it idles around 40 degrees C, which I think is a bit high considering I have an aftermarket heatsink. However, when I wake my computer up from sleep mode, it idles at 30 degrees C. And if I play BF3 after waking up from sleep, my max temps are under 40 degrees. So load temps after waking up from sleep are lower than idle temps after turning on. I don't see how this is even possible. Maybe my motherboard isn't reading correctly. Does anyone know why this is happening, which temps, if any, are the accurate ones, or how I could fix this?

Thanks,
Tunak Tunak Tun

P.S. I am a major noob at this stuff and this is my first build, so please try to keep things simple.
a c 222 V Motherboard
February 29, 2012 2:30:51 PM

Your temps are actually ok. Also, just set your CPU settings to AUTO. If you want to overclock the CPU, just use AMD Overdrive and let the application make changes for you.
m
l
February 29, 2012 3:07:00 PM

COLGeek said:
Your temps are actually ok. Also, just set your CPU settings to AUTO. If you want to overclock the CPU, just use AMD Overdrive and let the application make changes for you.

Do you know why my temps are doing that though? And why is it not letting me change the voltage?
m
l
Related resources
a c 222 V Motherboard
February 29, 2012 3:11:37 PM

Idling at 30C or so is normal. Maxing out at 40C is actually quite good.

m
l
February 29, 2012 3:14:36 PM

COLGeek said:
Idling at 30C or so is normal. Maxing out at 40C is actually quite good.

I'm not sure if it actually is 30 degrees though, since the temps seem to be fluctuating depending on if I turn my pc on or just wake it up from sleep mode.
m
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
February 29, 2012 3:19:25 PM

Yep. That is normal. Temps will change as the system is used. For example, indexing, AV scanning, updating, etc will all add to the CPU load (and increase the temperature). These things happen all the time while the system is running.

Messing around with CPU and memory settings can lead to an unstable system if you aren't careful. I strongly suggest using the AUTO (default) settings and using Overdrive to tweak the settings.
m
l
February 29, 2012 3:54:48 PM

COLGeek said:
Yep. That is normal. Temps will change as the system is used. For example, indexing, AV scanning, updating, etc will all add to the CPU load (and increase the temperature). These things happen all the time while the system is running.

Messing around with CPU and memory settings can lead to an unstable system if you aren't careful. I strongly suggest using the AUTO (default) settings and using Overdrive to tweak the settings.

Ok thanks.
m
l
!