Which notebook? (asking for recommendation)

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2005 10:29:44 PM

I'm asking for a (new) laptop/notebook....I'm migrating from a desktop
Mac so I really don't know much about PCs. I'm looking for the following
characteristics:

larger than standard screen size
not a ton of hard drive space (don't keep mp3s, or video files, 40GB is
probably enough)
512 mb memory
not really into "burning" stuff
good battery life
prefer an amd processor, but realize that may limit my options too much
an "enhanced" screen (visual quality is important, and I've read that
some notebooks have various kinds of "enhanced" displays, with different
names according to which manufacturer it's from)
good tech support as I've never owned a Windows machine before
good built-in wireless technology to use in cafes and such while
traveling (they all have this now don't they?)
a keyboard that doesn't have tiny enter or delete keys
not too heavy (thickness doesn't matter too much though)
costs $1000-1300
fast processor but not cutting-edge
XP Home (don't think I would need Pro for any reason)

what i will use it for:
web browsing and email (i don't really play games, so I won't need an
unusually powerful graphics card, although I want to be able to watch
video webcasts on occasion)

other things:
i will be using a mobile (external) mouse, if that makes a difference
(btw are there any mobile mice which have four buttons, to allow for
forward and back web browsing? [i realize i could just buy a full-sized
mouse)

i looked at newegg.com and came up with the AVERATEC Notebook 6210
Athlon XP-M 2400+, 15.4" WXGA, 512MB, 60GB, DVD+/-RW, WLAN, WinXP Home
for $1,139.00; it looks good but I've never heard of this brand, is it
any good? (also, it's silver, all things being equal I'd prefer a black
machine.)

Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2005 10:29:45 PM

Oliver Lu <oliverluNOSPAM@concentric.net> writes:
> I'm asking for a (new) laptop/notebook....I'm migrating from a desktop
> Mac so I really don't know much about PCs. I'm looking for the following
> characteristics:

If you like Macs and don't have a good reason to switch to PC's, I'd
say get an iBook or Powerbook. No need to subject yourself to Windows hell.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2005 10:29:45 PM

Oliver Lu wrote:

> I'm asking for a (new) laptop/notebook....I'm migrating from a desktop
> Mac so I really don't know much about PCs. I'm looking for the following
> characteristics:
>
> larger than standard screen size
> not a ton of hard drive space (don't keep mp3s, or video files, 40GB is
> probably enough)
> 512 mb memory
> not really into "burning" stuff
> good battery life
> prefer an amd processor, but realize that may limit my options too much
> an "enhanced" screen (visual quality is important, and I've read that
> some notebooks have various kinds of "enhanced" displays, with different
> names according to which manufacturer it's from)
> good tech support as I've never owned a Windows machine before
> good built-in wireless technology to use in cafes and such while
> traveling (they all have this now don't they?)
> a keyboard that doesn't have tiny enter or delete keys
> not too heavy (thickness doesn't matter too much though)
> costs $1000-1300
> fast processor but not cutting-edge
> XP Home (don't think I would need Pro for any reason)
>
> what i will use it for:
> web browsing and email (i don't really play games, so I won't need an
> unusually powerful graphics card, although I want to be able to watch
> video webcasts on occasion)
>
> other things:
> i will be using a mobile (external) mouse, if that makes a difference
> (btw are there any mobile mice which have four buttons, to allow for
> forward and back web browsing? [i realize i could just buy a full-sized
> mouse)
>
> i looked at newegg.com and came up with the AVERATEC Notebook 6210
> Athlon XP-M 2400+, 15.4" WXGA, 512MB, 60GB, DVD+/-RW, WLAN, WinXP Home
> for $1,139.00; it looks good but I've never heard of this brand, is it
> any good? (also, it's silver, all things being equal I'd prefer a black
> machine.)

If you're used to Macs then why not a Mac? While the price difference may
seem substantial, figure in replacing your existing Mac apps with PC
equivalents and the Mac may start to look a lot better.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

In article <d3s7bp01dg7@news3.newsguy.com>,
"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

> Oliver Lu wrote:
>
> > I'm asking for a (new) laptop/notebook....I'm migrating from a desktop
> > Mac so I really don't know much about PCs. I'm looking for the following
> > characteristics:
> >
> > larger than standard screen size
> > not a ton of hard drive space (don't keep mp3s, or video files, 40GB is
> > probably enough)
> > 512 mb memory
> > not really into "burning" stuff
> > good battery life
> > prefer an amd processor, but realize that may limit my options too much
> > an "enhanced" screen (visual quality is important, and I've read that
> > some notebooks have various kinds of "enhanced" displays, with different
> > names according to which manufacturer it's from)
> > good tech support as I've never owned a Windows machine before
> > good built-in wireless technology to use in cafes and such while
> > traveling (they all have this now don't they?)
> > a keyboard that doesn't have tiny enter or delete keys
> > not too heavy (thickness doesn't matter too much though)
> > costs $1000-1300
> > fast processor but not cutting-edge
> > XP Home (don't think I would need Pro for any reason)
> >
> > what i will use it for:
> > web browsing and email (i don't really play games, so I won't need an
> > unusually powerful graphics card, although I want to be able to watch
> > video webcasts on occasion)
> >
> > other things:
> > i will be using a mobile (external) mouse, if that makes a difference
> > (btw are there any mobile mice which have four buttons, to allow for
> > forward and back web browsing? [i realize i could just buy a full-sized
> > mouse)
> >
> > i looked at newegg.com and came up with the AVERATEC Notebook 6210
> > Athlon XP-M 2400+, 15.4" WXGA, 512MB, 60GB, DVD+/-RW, WLAN, WinXP Home
> > for $1,139.00; it looks good but I've never heard of this brand, is it
> > any good? (also, it's silver, all things being equal I'd prefer a black
> > machine.)
>
> If you're used to Macs then why not a Mac? While the price difference may
> seem substantial, figure in replacing your existing Mac apps with PC
> equivalents and the Mac may start to look a lot better.

I'd be going from a System 9 system (pre-OSX in other words) to OSX, so
I'd be getting all news apps anyway.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2005 11:57:37 PM

In article <d3s7bp01dg7@news3.newsguy.com>,
J. Clarke <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>Oliver Lu wrote:
>
>> I'm asking for a (new) laptop/notebook....I'm migrating from a desktop
>> Mac so I really don't know much about PCs. I'm looking for the following
>> characteristics:
>>
>> larger than standard screen size
>> not a ton of hard drive space (don't keep mp3s, or video files, 40GB is
>> probably enough)
>> 512 mb memory
>> not really into "burning" stuff
>> good battery life
>> prefer an amd processor, but realize that may limit my options too much
>> an "enhanced" screen (visual quality is important, and I've read that
>> some notebooks have various kinds of "enhanced" displays, with different
>> names according to which manufacturer it's from)
>> good tech support as I've never owned a Windows machine before
>> good built-in wireless technology to use in cafes and such while
>> traveling (they all have this now don't they?)
>> a keyboard that doesn't have tiny enter or delete keys
>> not too heavy (thickness doesn't matter too much though)
>> costs $1000-1300
>> fast processor but not cutting-edge
>> XP Home (don't think I would need Pro for any reason)
>>
>> what i will use it for:
>> web browsing and email (i don't really play games, so I won't need an
>> unusually powerful graphics card, although I want to be able to watch
>> video webcasts on occasion)
>>
>> other things:
>> i will be using a mobile (external) mouse, if that makes a difference
>> (btw are there any mobile mice which have four buttons, to allow for
>> forward and back web browsing? [i realize i could just buy a full-sized
>> mouse)
>>
>> i looked at newegg.com and came up with the AVERATEC Notebook 6210
>> Athlon XP-M 2400+, 15.4" WXGA, 512MB, 60GB, DVD+/-RW, WLAN, WinXP Home
>> for $1,139.00; it looks good but I've never heard of this brand, is it
>> any good? (also, it's silver, all things being equal I'd prefer a black
>> machine.)
>
>If you're used to Macs then why not a Mac? While the price difference may
>seem substantial, figure in replacing your existing Mac apps with PC
>equivalents and the Mac may start to look a lot better.
>>
>> Thanks
>
>--
>--John
>to email, dial "usenet" and validate
>(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Don't buy a Windows machine until you've priced a MAC. Factor in the
cost of repurchasing any software you have and unless you also know
Windows the learning curve will be a pain.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 12:00:50 AM

In article <oliverluNOSPAM-82DAC9.19573716042005@spectator.sj.sys.us.xo.net>,
Oliver Lu <oliverluNOSPAM@concentric.net> wrote:
>In article <d3s7bp01dg7@news3.newsguy.com>,
> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Oliver Lu wrote:
>>
>> > I'm asking for a (new) laptop/notebook....I'm migrating from a desktop
>> > Mac so I really don't know much about PCs. I'm looking for the following
>> > characteristics:
>> >
>> > larger than standard screen size
>> > not a ton of hard drive space (don't keep mp3s, or video files, 40GB is
>> > probably enough)
>> > 512 mb memory
>> > not really into "burning" stuff
>> > good battery life
>> > prefer an amd processor, but realize that may limit my options too much
>> > an "enhanced" screen (visual quality is important, and I've read that
>> > some notebooks have various kinds of "enhanced" displays, with different
>> > names according to which manufacturer it's from)
>> > good tech support as I've never owned a Windows machine before
>> > good built-in wireless technology to use in cafes and such while
>> > traveling (they all have this now don't they?)
>> > a keyboard that doesn't have tiny enter or delete keys
>> > not too heavy (thickness doesn't matter too much though)
>> > costs $1000-1300
>> > fast processor but not cutting-edge
>> > XP Home (don't think I would need Pro for any reason)
>> >
>> > what i will use it for:
>> > web browsing and email (i don't really play games, so I won't need an
>> > unusually powerful graphics card, although I want to be able to watch
>> > video webcasts on occasion)
>> >
>> > other things:
>> > i will be using a mobile (external) mouse, if that makes a difference
>> > (btw are there any mobile mice which have four buttons, to allow for
>> > forward and back web browsing? [i realize i could just buy a full-sized
>> > mouse)
>> >
>> > i looked at newegg.com and came up with the AVERATEC Notebook 6210
>> > Athlon XP-M 2400+, 15.4" WXGA, 512MB, 60GB, DVD+/-RW, WLAN, WinXP Home
>> > for $1,139.00; it looks good but I've never heard of this brand, is it
>> > any good? (also, it's silver, all things being equal I'd prefer a black
>> > machine.)
>>
>> If you're used to Macs then why not a Mac? While the price difference may
>> seem substantial, figure in replacing your existing Mac apps with PC
>> equivalents and the Mac may start to look a lot better.
>

>I'd be going from a System 9 system (pre-OSX in other words) to OSX, so
>I'd be getting all news apps anyway.

If you have to repurchase application upgrades check the cost. I
beleive some expensive software (photoshop, Dreamveaver ?) don't let
you switch from MAC to Windows kit.
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
April 17, 2005 5:18:36 AM

I bought a (actually my wife bought it for me) Compaq Presario RZ3470US
www.compaq.com for $1400

AMD 3400 64 bit processor
100Gb drive
1024 Mb RAM
DVD+/-R/RW & CD-RW
3 USB
15.4 wxga SCREEN
NVIDIA 440 GO 64Mb video
54g Wireless with 125HSM/Speedbooster WLAN
1394 connection
S-Video
JBL Pro speakers

The Compaq and HP 17" screen laptop has been on sale for about $1350 at most
stores.

Check the Fujitsu N6000 series or 3510 series for the best picture. About
$1850 & $1600 respectively. www.fujitsupc.com

"Oliver Lu" <oliverluNOSPAM@concentric.net> wrote in message
news:o liverluNOSPAM-799544.18321116042005@spectator.sj.sys.us.xo.net...
> I'm asking for a (new) laptop/notebook....I'm migrating from a desktop
> Mac so I really don't know much about PCs. I'm looking for the following
> characteristics:
>
> larger than standard screen size
> not a ton of hard drive space (don't keep mp3s, or video files, 40GB is
> probably enough)
> 512 mb memory
> not really into "burning" stuff
> good battery life
> prefer an amd processor, but realize that may limit my options too much
> an "enhanced" screen (visual quality is important, and I've read that
> some notebooks have various kinds of "enhanced" displays, with different
> names according to which manufacturer it's from)
> good tech support as I've never owned a Windows machine before
> good built-in wireless technology to use in cafes and such while
> traveling (they all have this now don't they?)
> a keyboard that doesn't have tiny enter or delete keys
> not too heavy (thickness doesn't matter too much though)
> costs $1000-1300
> fast processor but not cutting-edge
> XP Home (don't think I would need Pro for any reason)
>
> what i will use it for:
> web browsing and email (i don't really play games, so I won't need an
> unusually powerful graphics card, although I want to be able to watch
> video webcasts on occasion)
>
> other things:
> i will be using a mobile (external) mouse, if that makes a difference
> (btw are there any mobile mice which have four buttons, to allow for
> forward and back web browsing? [i realize i could just buy a full-sized
> mouse)
>
> i looked at newegg.com and came up with the AVERATEC Notebook 6210
> Athlon XP-M 2400+, 15.4" WXGA, 512MB, 60GB, DVD+/-RW, WLAN, WinXP Home
> for $1,139.00; it looks good but I've never heard of this brand, is it
> any good? (also, it's silver, all things being equal I'd prefer a black
> machine.)
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 7:57:58 PM

"Oliver Lu" <oliverlu@NOSPAM.concentric.net> wrote in message
news:o liverlu-D25E49.10130617042005@spectator.sj.sys.us.xo.net...
> In article <1163mp6e6o930a4@corp.supernews.com>,
<snip>
> You mention(ed) that Newegg doesn't necessarily have the best prices for
> laptops; is there a place that you would recommend?

I might order it directly, but I'd prefer to go to any walk-in store, so I
have somewhere I can physically go to bitch if something goes wrong. You
might not save money, and in fact you might even pay a couple more bucks,
however, you do have the luxury of returning it within 30 or so days,
depending on where you bought it.

> Also, is there any
> place you know of that sells older Macintosh laptops, in case I decide
> to go that route (but want technical support, which I wouldn't get with
> ebay I'm thinking)? tia

Tech support? Probably not with a used Mac. If you already know your way
around a Mac, chances are you won't need it for software related issues. As
for hardware, I can't say. I suppose Macs are just as reliable as better
Windows machines, and really the only moving parts are fans and drives.
Hard drives are fairly easy, generally speaking, for most laptops. Fans are
not likely to go out anytime soon...the worst you'll get is noise from worn
bearings in most cases.

A couple years ago I did see one or two stores selling mainly used Macs.
It's quite possible they'd offer some sort of tech support, but it's
extremely unlikely that it would be on the same level as if you bought a new
one.

I really haven't priced used Macs, so I can't tell you whether buying a used
one is significantly cheaper than buying new. You do take a chance that
it'll arrive dead, or die soon after you get it, or have some funky problem
that you'll never get right. However, I've bought a couple used laptops and
several used pen computers, and I've never had a problem.

You might even try upgrading your current laptop. Compared to just a few
years ago, memory is cheap, as are hard drives, and often you can load a
more current OS. In some cases you can even upgrade the CD ROM to a CD or
DVD writer. I did just that on an old Dell, and it worked like a charm.

Pagan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2005 6:15:20 PM

"Oliver Lu" <oliverlu@NOSPAM.concentric.net> wrote in message
news:o liverlu-D25E49.10130617042005@spectator.sj.sys.us.xo.net...
> In article <1163mp6e6o930a4@corp.supernews.com>,

There is one store, https://www.eritech.com/index.php that I've dealt with
in the past. I've found them helpful and reliable.

Pagan
!