Sign in with
Your question

Sub-2K$ “Desktop Gamer in a Box”

Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2011 4:52:30 AM

Sub-2K$ “Desktop Gamer in a Box”

Approximate Purchase Date:
After April 15th, 2011, If the tax man doesn't destroy me.

Budget Range:
$2K

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Gaming, Photoshop, Web Surfing. Maybe watching the occasional movie.

Parts Not Required:
Case (will be built into Pelican case or similar).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
No preferences

Country of Origin:
U.S.A.(if this refers to where I live)

Parts Preferences:
No preference

Overclocking:
No

SLI or Crossfire:
No

Monitor Resolution:
Don't know. Thinking of a 22” monitor for gaming, needs to be rugged.

Intended to replace:
ASUS ROG G73Jh, and to end a long string of expensive laptop mistakes.

Additional Comments: I intend to build this PC inside a Pelican case, or an aluminum box custom fabricated for this purpose. I'm just tired of spending too much on a series of non-upgradeable laptops, just to get mediocre performance for 10 - 12 months. I know it's going to be much larger and heavier, but I'm willing to put up with that. It will be on the road constantly in a “big truck”, with lots of vibration, dust, drastic changes in temperature/humidity/altitude, and being schlepped in and out of hotels. I'm away from home more often than not, so this will be a lot of time planning, and a short amount of time for building. Also, I'm aware that stuffing everything into “the box” will be a neat trick, and will add some unknown amount of time to the build. I'm not sure how to manage cooling, but I would like the closed box to be as dust and rain resistant as possible.

The actual (final) configuration is still open for discussion, as well. I'm thinking of something like this:

I would appreciate any advice regarding hardware, mounting, cooling, etc.

Thanks.

More about : desktop gamer box

March 27, 2011 5:23:27 AM

Well you could check out my build in mah siggy for 1500$. That'll give you a good idea of what parts to pick. Not very sure though as to how you would configure the system to be like that. I think that the monitor should open up like a laptop though. An example is the Xbox 360 Laptop mods or PS3 laptop mods.

http://s2.n4g.com/media/11/newssi/130000/133568_0_org.j...
m
l
March 27, 2011 5:47:39 AM

My first thought was to have the monitor bolted to the lid so it opened like a laptop, but:

A) The screen would be farther away. While that may not be a bad thing for a 22" screen, it puts the box right where my keyboard and mouse need to be sitting.

B) I would need an additional layer of protection, to keep any loose parts inside the case (power cord, mouse, keyboard, etc.) from scuffing up the screen. That might increase the overall depth of the box slightly... and probably be another big loose part I have to deal with when opening, plugging in, and firing this thing up.

C) I would lose the oddly shaped dead space at the rear of the monitor, which I might be able to use if the back is facing into the box.

D) The way I have it in the animation, there is a possibility I may figure out some way to rig up a hinge that brings the monitor up to eye level.
m
l
!