Video card upgrade?

jkins

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hi, I am going to be upgrading my vid card and am looking for suggestions that could point me in the right direction. My current card is a Geforce 9600GT. My specs are as follows: AMD Phenom XII Black 3.4 quad core, 8gb ddr3 ram, Windows 7 64, 650 watt psu.

The main usage will be games (dc universe online) and video editing.

Not interested in overclocking.

I am looking for something that will be a significant upgrade, and stay within my budget, which is $150 (the cheaper the better).

I would prefer Nvidia as I've had problems with ATI cards in the past, but am open to anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 362816

I bought some galaxy products a little while ago i did all the rebate information correctly and they refused my rebate same with msi so dont count on that 30$..

Helltech

Distinguished

Thats wierd I just did three different products from Galaxy as christmas presents for people and got all of my rebates... quickly also.

D

Deleted member 362816

I dont know why i was just posting what happened to me. I did the quick rebate lost 4$ tracked it for a few days they got all the paper work then denied it for no reason, litterly i got an email saying we cannot process your rebate and i dont know why.

Helltech

Distinguished

Wierd, I would have e-mailed them and asked them why. The most common reason they cannot reward rebates is becuase the post-mark date is later than the valid date for the rebate.

D

Deleted member 362816

No all of that was ok on my part i have emailed and called them i keep getting the same b/s lol and i cant get a manager there "busy" lol

dkapke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006

For something like DCUO, even a 768Mb GTX460 is fine, and those are down to $145 ($105 with rebate). And, FWIW, I got my Galaxy $30 rebate on a 768Mb card in about a month. Hit or miss, I'm sure, just like all rebates.

Now, I'm an AMD guy, and I honestly have NEVER had problems with their cards, all the way back to the 9700Pro. Okay...I did have one issue with related to the 10.3 and 10.4 drivers with flickering on my DP monitor. It was fixed in 10.5, came back again in 10.11, then was fixed in 10.12. Other than that (heh-heh), not a single problem in 10 years. I've used nvidia (8800GTS 320Mb, 8800GT 512Mb and 9800GT 512Mb cards) and never had any issues with them, and I've got several customers that also request them and never any issues there, either. So...take that for what it's worth. For AMD, and that game specifically, a 5770 is fine. If you can splurge $20 extra and get it back with the rebate, a 6850 would make you quite happy. And I've NEVER not received a rebate from Sapphire.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

Hope that helps.