Sign in with
Your question

Strangest not posting of a new build I ever seen...

Tags:
  • New Build
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2011 8:00:13 AM

First the parts:

• ZALMAN 9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
  • PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model MD8192KD3-1333
  • ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
  • AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

So was helping my friend with his new build. I have built now 5 computers and have had 0 problems (once built an older shuttle for my dad, the memory wouldnt work, swapped it with my memory in my shuttle and both shuttles were happy).

So I wouldn't say I am a noob at this, but I am stumped by my friends new build.

We put the sucker together (I always HATE putting the heat sink down on the chip) and for some reason the aftermarket fan I got was a bigger pain than it was in my build (his is an AMD mine is an Intel). Okay, so we get things in, hes a young kiddo and so excited to have his first bad ass machine he insists on getting all the pci cards in etc... so i let him do it, we wire up the front bits of the box to the motherboard (power switch etc)...get the power cables from the PSU in and then plug it in and try to get it to post. Nothing...there are lights on the motherboard but nothing no fans nothing. This is grim (im starting to sweat cause hes soo excited and his face is visibly distressed). So here is some of the components:

Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-...

The chip is six cores.

The PSU is the thermal take 850w modular one.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=18...

It is quite nice... So for now lets ignore the graphics card,and other pci cards. So once we booted it up everything in and no posting happened...it was debug time:

Took out all expansion cards. No post. Took out the memory (just to get some beeps) nothing, no post, no fans, nothing comes on. LED lights on the motherboard. So I am thinking "Well the motherboard seems alright, hope I didn't jack up the chip cause he asked me to do the heat sink part". At this point im like well maybe the PSU is bad.

So I double check its 8pin is in (motherboard has 8pin, but 4 covered up, i uncovered and went with 8). and the main power pins are in too. Like I said lights to the LEDs on board. This board is fancy with some onboard switched for core unlocker crap?
    In either case...

Thinking the PSU is bad since its in, CPU is in and thats that... I take out the PSU and we try this other computer's I have (one i built 5 years ago). That ones powersupply is 450w rosewill...not modular. But we plug it in, get the 4 pin (only has 4 pin) and the main power pins in... and boot up. BAM it posts. It goes through bios and comes to "no suitable boot drive with os found" thats fine I can jive with that. Progress!

I declare a DOA psu and we go off to bestbuy to swap them out ...a 40 miles drive cause they have one in in the next town over.

Get it back...plug in the new powersupply... same one again 850w Thermaltake TR2 RX modular thingy. Plug it in, again lights, no post no fans.

WTF of three power supplies, the old 450w one posts... the other two (from two totally different stores in totally different states) do not post or kick any fans or anything. I have to admit im stumped. Went through the little new build sticky here, nothing seems to fit this issue. So things I tried before calling no joy:

took jumper to clear bios.
    (reset it back right).

Made sure both 8pin (and even tried 4 pin in the side that wasnt covered) and the main pins in snug and right.

Swapped the power and reset pins just to see...

nothing, but plugged in crummy old rosewill power supply and all posted and came up past bios (even tinkered in bios) and it saw all the ram just fine.

Go back to either of the other 850w'res and nothing.

I am out of ideas. Some compatibility issue? Here is the full list of stuff we got from new egg:

ZALMAN 9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model MD8192KD3-1333

ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

The only thing i can guess is it says turbo socket above, the Motherboard has some sort of switch on it...it is wonky to me. So I cannot pin down where the issue is:

CPU
    Motherboard
    PSU? (odd two would be failed)

I would love any other ideas. Tomorrow when im fresh im going over to his house and doing that green wire to black to just see if the psu comes on even. But I would love to hear any other stabs in the dark.

• More about : strangest posting build

March 27, 2011 9:05:05 AM

Take his PSU and put it in your PC
    m
    l
    March 27, 2011 10:27:35 AM

cmcghee has a good idea, because it does seem odd that two in a row would be bad.

Thermaltake does not have the best reputation in power supplies. Some are OK, but found a review on a similar TR2, and it was not good: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W Power Supply Review. If the PSU is a dud, consider a better make, such as Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, Antec, etc.

If on the other hand it works on your old computer, go through this checklist: "System won't boot" and "no video output" checklist

m
    l
    Related resources
    March 27, 2011 12:49:05 PM

I use nothing but Thermaltake and have zero problems with them, and it is highly unlikely that you got two bad supplies. Are you using the cable marked CPU for your 8 pin?
    m
    l
    March 27, 2011 5:10:58 PM

I tried both the 8pin and the 4pin... what was odd though is that there is one that is a 6pin that has another +2 pin on it... doubt thats it though...
    (the cables are unlabled)

Just did a PSU test with the green to black paper clip trick and both power supplys come up. I am officially about to throw in the towel. It is damn near impossible to nail down whats wrong: PSU, Motherboard, CPU? If the cpu or motherboard were bad would i even get it to post like I did with the older 450w power supply?
    m
    l
    March 27, 2011 9:53:10 PM

End result: Went to my house took computer with me. Tried my 900w psu in his computer and it worked, tried his 850w thermaltake that wasnt workingi in my computer and it worked...so I was nice and did a straight up swap. He is now happy and installing OS's.

yay. So wtf what was up with that I will never know...
    m
    l
    March 28, 2011 1:12:26 AM

Ha, cmcghee had it right from the start! Strange indeed, but glad you got it worked around.
    m
    l
    !