Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First gaming build in years, does this look ok?

Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2011 8:09:53 AM

Hey everyone,

This is (obviously) my first post on TH but I've lurked for several years. I finally decided to build a new gaming PC. The last performance PC I built was back in.. .oh.... 2002-03? I've done hours of research and boy have things changed. I've pulled together what seems to me like a decent system at first glance. It's a bit over my intended budget but I'm ok with that if it seems like it'll work well. Before I lighten my wallet I wanted to run this by you TH pro's to see how it stacks up. Here are the spec's:

CPU: Intel i7 2600K (with coolermaster thermal fusion 400 paste)

FAN: Corsair CAFA70 Air Series performance CPU Cooler

Mobo: MSI P67A-GD65 B3 Intel P67 Motherboard - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel P67 Express, DDR3 2133MHz (O.C.), SATA 6.0 Gb/s, Gigabit LAN, CrossFire/SLI Ready, USB 3.0 - I figured I may eventually grab another GPU to SLI and wanted to "futureproof" a bit.

GPU: EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB DDR3

RAM: 8GB (2x4) Kingston HyperX PC3-12800 DDR-1600MHz 9-9-9-27 CAS

PSU: COrsair Enthusiast 750W

HDD: WD VelociRaptor 150GB 10k RPM - SSD's just push the cost too high. I'll pick up a storage drive later on down the road.

CASE: NZXT Guardian 921 RB ATX Mid-tower and fans

Optical: Already have

Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit

Overclocking: Probably down the road a bit but nothing too crazy.
SLI/CrossFire: Maybe.

All of that came in at $1370 at Tigerdirect. I priced everything out and NewEgg was about $60 more because they charge tax (I'm in CA).

So, does this look ok? Any glaring issues? As I stated earlier I haven't done this in a while so I want to make sure I don't eff anything up. From a tech/install standpoint I will be fine, it's just the min/maxing that I am not too keen on.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

More about : gaming build years

March 27, 2011 10:10:08 AM

Looks pretty good so far You may want to add a storage drive though 150gig isnt very big. The GTX is actually DDR5. Also with the 750PSU it looks like you could add another 560 later if you want.
m
l
March 27, 2011 2:10:07 PM

I would scrap the Raptor, get an i5-2500K and put that 200$ you just saved and buy an 64GB SSD for your OS (~130$) and a 500GB 7200RPM HDD (~50$) for software and data. Or you could just get the 500GB HDD and put the rest toward a better GPU. You could probably save a bit more by ordering from NewEgg as well.
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2011 5:41:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

With the SSD drives, is it standard to only install the OS on them? I was under the impression that games are also installed on the SSDs for max performance, but I'm not really sure if games run wholly out of RAM or not. If it's only the OS that should be on the SSD then I'll probably go that route.

@Zenthar: What would you recommend as a better GPU? I'm open to either nVidia or ATI/AMD.

Thanks again!
m
l
March 27, 2011 9:26:50 PM

Depends on your budget I guess. A better GPU would be any higher nividia 5xx serias such as the 570 or 580 if you set on nvidia, Or AMDs 6950 or 6970.
The 560Ti is a pretty good price performance card actually.
Also you can install games on the SSD as well but if you have several you will fill it up quickly for the 64gig one.
The 2500k is a good gaming cpu also and cheaper. Also the sandy bridge mother boards are a good choice as (Intel) has said they will be compatible with Ivybridge chips down the road so you have a decent upgrade path.
Like I said depends on budget nothing wrong with the 560ti and then adding a second down the road. for SLI.
m
l
March 27, 2011 9:40:20 PM

If it's a gaming machine, you don't need the 2600K, you could save money by going with the 2500K.
m
l

Best solution

March 27, 2011 10:16:45 PM

geekapproved said:
If it's a gaming machine, you don't need the 2600K, you could save money by going with the 2500K.

+1

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=288 <----- i7 2600K vs i5 2500K

Skip the RAPTOR...it's a waste of money for what you get in performance. You can always pick up an SSD later on down the road of you feel the need. The items listed on here from Amazon that are "temporarily out of stock" are rarely out of stock longer than a few days to a week. This build is set up to add another one of those factory over clocked gtx 560's later on for SLI

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RTPMM4/ref=ox_sc_a... $89.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Antec Truepower 23754 TP-750 BLUE LED 750-Watt PSU NVIDIA SLI Certified 80 Plus Bronze Advanced Hybrid Cable Management Power Supply

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-PCI-Express-N560GTX-TWIN-FROZ... $249.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
MSI GeForce GTX560 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N560GTX TI TWIN FROZR II OC

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... $229.99
Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3.30 GHz, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Retail

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=59093&promoid=1302&... $152.60 USD
Savings Code 59093-1302. SAVE $0.14 off our regular price of $152.74 if you buy today! Special price ends 3/30/2011
MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E 2PCI SLI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3 Motherboard

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Spinpoint-Cache-Desktop-H... $59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5 inch Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive HD103SJ
March 28, 2011 12:36:53 AM

Raptors had their day... like 5 years ago. They are a gimmick to get you to spend more $ now. The samsung spinpoint f3 1 Tb is almost as fast as a raptor and costs $60... get the samsung and laugh all the way to the bank.

As far as the i5 2500k vs the i7 2600K. They differ by 100mhz stock speed, 2 mb of L3 cache, hyperthreading, and $100 price. Out of the box they perform similiarly. The i5 2500K has a high overclocking potential and the 100 mhz in clock speed is not an issue because you can clock both of them to the same speed. They are both really easy to OC... as a matter of fact it is stupid easy. Just change the multiplier and you can get OCs around 4.2 Ghz on stock cooling. With a nice aftermarket cooler you can get OCs above 4.5 Ghz easily. That goes for either chip. The 2 Mb extra L3 cache is for the hyperthreading. If you are playing games you should turn hyperthreading off because it will actually slow your gaming performance. The i5 2500K doesn't have hyperthreading so there is no need to turn it off. $100 is cash in the bank, or a more powerful GPU.

At this point SSDs are for OSes... Until the price/GB goes down.

I like my GTX 560 Ti. A lot.

As far as ordering, Tigerdirect sucks... They claim to have items in stock that are popular. Then they send you an e-mail a few days after you order saying that it is backordered. If you visit their site you will find the items page saying that is currently in stock... meaning they are lying to get you to buy from them. Newegg is honestand won't pullm that nonsense.
m
l
March 28, 2011 12:46:40 AM

fw190fan said:
With the SSD drives, is it standard to only install the OS on them? I was under the impression that games are also installed on the SSDs for max performance, but I'm not really sure if games run wholly out of RAM or not. If it's only the OS that should be on the SSD then I'll probably go that route.
You can also install games on SSDs, but the "performance gain" will only be in loading time, not in FPS so the benefit is minimal. By putting only the OS and some basic applications on the SSD, you get fast boot time without breaking the bank. For example, I'm running an entry-level OCZ Solid2 SSD as my OS drive and even that is faster than my old 36GB 1st generation Raptor and much quieter (since SSD don't make a noise :p ).
m
l
March 28, 2011 3:18:47 AM

Well, thanks again! I think I'll go with the i5 2500k. I'll definitely be overclocking as high and as stable as I can get it on air cooling.

Speaking of that, is the Corsair CAFA70 Air Series performance CPU Cooler good enough for the i5? I'd like to stay with air cooling for now.

Oh and I did some SSD research and found out about them really only helping with loading times (thanks, Zenthar), and I'm not worried about that right now. Maybe I'll pick one up for my OS once the gen 3's hit the market but for now I'll stick to a Spinpoint.... If I can find one! :) 

You fellas are saving me some dough and I appreciate it! And thanks for the heads up on TigerDirect. I found it odd that they list some of those items as in stock while every other major vendor has them out of stock. Sneaky shenanigans.
m
l
March 28, 2011 5:43:52 AM

I like the Hyper212+ but its up to you and if it will fit in your case.
m
l
March 28, 2011 4:28:24 PM

Ha! That's funny because that's the exact same one I purchased from Amazon last night. Great deal for what looks like like a fantastic heatsink.
m
l
April 6, 2011 11:57:46 PM

Best answer selected by fw190fan.
m
l
!