PC Shuts down without warning

XxShadowzX

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
First of all I would like to introduce myself,
Hello everyone, my name is Antony and I'm 15 years old, and I have a problem that's been annoying me for a long time.
My PC has a problem that has been going on for quite some time now, whenever I play games in High Quality graphics my PC decides to shut down without a warning and then power up again 3 seconds after it shuts down. This can happen when I'm playing for 5 minutes or 3 hours.
When I play "Crysis 2" for example it only shuts down in some parts of the game, seeming like time doesn't matter.
I've been doing some tests and my CPU and all the other parts of the PC reach around 60/65ºC when playing Crysis 2 but my graphics card reaches 80/85ºC.
A curiosity is that when I play Crysis 2 in windowed mode at low resolutions it doesn't shut down (with the temps at the max, as stated above) but when I'm playing it in those resolutions and then pause the game and change it to higher resolutions (it doesn't even need to be fullscreen) and then resume the game, the PC shuts down imediatly, and that's pretty strange because now it may be a PSU problem more than an Overheating problem. :??:
I've cleaned my PC in and out, I turned all of the fans to max power and it still shuts down.

I need your help to find a solution to this problem.
Sorry if my english is bad, it's not my native language :(
And feel free to ask me for more specs or information :)
So here are my specs to let you understand my problem:

Operating System:
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
RAM:
6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-6-6-18)
Motherboard:
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QL PRO (LGA775)
Graphics:
Targa Visiona @ 1280x1024
512MB GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ (XFX Pine Group)
Hard Drives:
977GB Samsung HD103UJ ATA Device (IDE)
Audio:
Realtek High Definition Audio
PSU:
600W

Thanks in advance everyone :love:

Uther39

Distinguished
Yes it would seem to be a faulty PSU, also i notice you say you have 6gb of ram, in what configuration is that RAM as it should either only be in 2 or 4 matching sticks of DDR2 ? And i dont know how you have managed to get 6gb ?

XxShadowzX

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

I'm kind of a noob at this btw. :kaola:

It says that I have 4 slots of RAM and all of them are being used.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

XxShadowzX

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

Thank you :D
So I don't really know the maker, I can't find it anywhere on my PSU,
But the model is: LPK12-35
And the output is 600W

Thanks for the quick reply ^^

Here's a link to a detailed view of my PC specs:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/W0SuHoQlUs2IlKCxdmLahfZ

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
the PSU is a linkworld model that is more like a 350-400w than a 600w. I'm pretty sure its crapping out on you so replace it with a better quality maker and model such as an antec EA-380D/430D or a Corsair VX430 V2.

^^ those are good quality and cheap units but if you want higher wattage and bigger units then get Seasonics/ Corsair/ Antec / XFX units which has good reviews from websites like jonnyguru etc.

XxShadowzX

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

So the sticker saying "600W" is a lie :'O
Thanks, I'm gonna replace it :)

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Hey XXX your PC is not really shutting down, I would assume it restarts automatically after an error. Your current system settings however force a restart as soon as a critical system error occurs. To get more insight I would suggest turning off the feature so that instead you are greated with a nice blue screan of death. This could potentially help us solve your problem.

To do this go to start -> controle panel -> system and security -> system -> advanced settings -> Startup and recovery -> settings -> take the tick off automatically restart.

XxShadowzX

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

Wow really? It's even worse than I tought :cry:
I got some BSOD sometimes, and fixed some.
But my pc only shuts down when I'm playing games, and it doesn't show a warning nor a BSOD, it just shuts down instantly. :(

XxShadowzX

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

I have a little BSOD experience, it usually happened when I restarted my pc and I had to shut it down in order to start windows, but now I fixed it.
BUT, in every week or so a BSOD occurs, but usually not while playing.
So how do I force a BSOD to occur now?

Don't! A BSOD is a signal that the computer is shutting down in order to prevent damage. You do not want to force a BSOD to happen.