Sign in with
Your question

Cheap LCD cleaner?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 22, 2011 9:47:26 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but.

Anyone know of a good cheap one.

I don't have a microfiber cloth so it would be nice if it would bundled with it.

More about : cheap lcd cleaner

a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2011 10:23:12 PM

How about a wet paper towel? (with the LCD off of course)
m
l
January 22, 2011 10:35:14 PM

mister g said:

You should only use a microfibercloth to clean it..
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2011 10:37:55 PM

Thanks..... wet Kleenex?
m
l
January 22, 2011 10:42:02 PM

mister g said:
Thanks..... wet Kleenex?

No.

While there are several LCD cleaners out there the basics include.

Microfiber cloth

De stilled water

m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2011 10:49:05 PM

I use a solution witch comes in a small plastic bottle and it is applied like a spray but with no pressure inside, how much you press it is how much it comes out, it is from omega. http://www.nordic-digital.ee/en/product/13034/omega-fre...

You could probably go to the nearest electronic store and buy something similar. It is not expensive and it also prevents dust from sticking to the surface. Don't buy the napkins that are soaked in that stuff, i did not hear anyone saying good things about them.
m
l
January 22, 2011 11:02:11 PM

ionut19 said:
I use a solution witch comes in a small plastic bottle and it is applied like a spray but with no pressure inside, how much you press it is how much it comes out, it is from omega. http://www.nordic-digital.ee/en/product/13034/omega-fre...

You could probably go to the nearest electronic store and buy something similar. It is not expensive and it also prevents dust from sticking to the surface. Don't buy the napkins that are soaked in that stuff, i did not hear anyone saying good things about them.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SVC2548G-27-Cleaner-Compu...

Something like that?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 7:52:59 AM

Yes, something like that. When the cloth gets too filthy try to wash it or replace it with something made from soft cotton, but with no synthetic fibers witch create static electricity. Or you can buy more cloths, it is not expensive. http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimted-ACC-FIBER6-Absorb...

I have spares at home from a guy that worked in a tv store so did not buy any.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 9:33:17 AM

mister g said:

Might as well use fine grain sandpaper. I recommend distilled water and a micro-fiber cloth.

An easy method to make distilled water is to simply boil some water, then pour it in an open container and let it sit for a few hours or a day. Some real die-hards will say to let it sit for at least a week or a month. If you have a water filter (like a Brita or whatever) then get your water from that instead of tap water.

Another faster way is boil water in a pot. Then take the lid off the pot and let it cool down for a couple of minutes. Wipe the micro-fiber cloth on the condensed water, then use it wipe your screen.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 3:44:32 PM

The absolute best i've ever seen is called "Screen Clean". It's made by Zep. It's hard to find these days, and you will probably have to order it online. It comes in a 22oz aerosol can, and works wonders on LCD screens. A light mist on a microfiber cloth will do the job, and with 22oz, the can will last forever. It's not too cheap though, as when i bought it, the can was like $14.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 4:02:15 PM

Also a 50\50 mix of Isopropyl alcohol and distilled water works well (pretty much the same content as is in the commercial cleaner bottles but much cheaper) !
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 6:44:31 PM

+1 as above.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 24, 2011 1:07:20 AM

Quote:
Windex and a paper towel

If you do that, you may aswell be using engine de-greeaser and a wire brush.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2011 1:14:53 PM

Quote:
Windex and a paper towel

/facepalm

Just use nail polish remover, it'll kill the screen's finish faster.

m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
January 24, 2011 7:07:20 PM

mavroxur said:
/facepalm

Just use nail polish remover, it'll kill the screen's finish faster.

How about Drano? The acid should dissolve the dust buildup on the screen.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 12:27:59 AM

Oh come on how do we know if it wasn't sarcasm or an attempt at humor psycho was trying for!
m
l
January 25, 2011 5:17:50 AM

jaguarskx said:
Might as well use fine grain sandpaper. I recommend distilled water and a micro-fiber cloth.

An easy method to make distilled water is to simply boil some water, then pour it in an open container and let it sit for a few hours or a day. Some real die-hards will say to let it sit for at least a week or a month. If you have a water filter (like a Brita or whatever) then get your water from that instead of tap water.

Another faster way is boil water in a pot. Then take the lid off the pot and let it cool down for a couple of minutes. Wipe the micro-fiber cloth on the condensed water, then use it wipe your screen.

you can't make distilled water by just boiling it. Much easier to simply buy it at the grocery store.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 12:42:45 PM

Generally speaking it should work. Boiling the water will also boil away chlorine. The steam that is collected and condensed back down to water should technically be free of minerals since minerals are solids and do not evaporate.

I agree it may not be as good as buying distilled water, but this solution is basically free.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 12:51:39 PM

Homeboy2 said:
you can't make distilled water by just boiling it. Much easier to simply buy it at the grocery store.

Actually, what jaguarskx said is true. The water that condenses on the lid of the pot is pure. Minerals and impurities can't evaporate, and say in the pot of water. The steam that condenses on the lid is pure. It's basic elementary school science. Just think about it, if impurities from every lake, stream, river, and ocean could evaporate, our rain would be terribly polluted with minerals and contaminants.

m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2011 2:54:05 PM

LOL, just buy wipes man, LCD wipes for $2, I have been using pre-soaked cheap LCD wipes for 3 years and my DELL monitor hasn't changed since I bought it.

Don't mean to argue with the experts here but I don't get it, what is going on here?

I clean my LCD monitor TWICE a day using wipes and if you can afford water and electricity and your rig,
What do you consider expensive?
m
l
February 19, 2011 9:29:01 AM

If you clean your monitor twice a day you either have OCD with PC tendencies or a very dirty house or both!
m
l
!