Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help Determining Bottleneck

Last response: in CPUs
June 27, 2011 5:59:21 PM

Hey guys,
I'm fairly experienced at building PCs and knowing how components work, but I'd like a few second opinions on determining what the bottleneck in my PC is.
I'm trying to determine what the PC is waiting on when it pauses to "load".

Specs:
intel core i5-750 OC'd to 3.2 ghz stable (30 degrees idle)
4x 2gb sticks of G.Skill ripjaw memory @ 1600mhz
ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 (sata2 3gigabits/usb 2.0)
2 OCZ Vertex 60gb SSDs in RAID0 -->(116gb raid array)
nVidia geforce GTX 470 fermi 1.5gb

Now I know I/O is traditionally the bottleneck, which is why I have the SSDs. In your guy's opinions what do you think the config has to wait on? Is it still the hard disks? Or maybe the motherboard's Sata2 3gigabit limit? I find it hard to believe it would be the processor, ram, or video card.

I'm just curious what your guys opinions are, thanks in advance.

JM

More about : determining bottleneck

a c 102 à CPUs
June 27, 2011 7:04:15 PM

Yes, the motherboard's Sata2 3gigabit capability. Everything else seems well matched.
m
l
June 27, 2011 8:55:53 PM

Yea Ive had a suspicion that was it. Since the transfer speed of the SSDs themselves is so fast I could theoretically be reducing the speed of file access/application load time since they would be striped across both drives and to access the data it would have to send information through the motherboard which would be limited by the 3 gigabits.

I think it's time for a chipset upgrade anyway. I think I'll pick up an i7 2600k and a p67 mobo. Thanks for confirming my suspicion ubrales.
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2011 9:16:12 PM

Thanks for the tips! I have always liked evga, my GTX 470 is from them :) 
m
l
June 27, 2011 9:37:52 PM

That board looks good, but does seem a little pricy for it's specs. And do you by chance know what the EATX form factor is? Is that like extended ATX? It says that under form factor for the evga board, never seen it before.
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
June 27, 2011 9:50:15 PM

jmills204 said:
That board looks good, but does seem a little pricy for it's specs. And do you by chance know what the EATX form factor is? Is that like extended ATX? It says that under form factor for the evga board, never seen it before.

Yes it is eATX - just like the 'Classified' boards in LGA 1366
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=160-SB-E67...
m
l
June 27, 2011 10:02:22 PM

Yea my current config is 1156 so i never dealt with 1366 boards. It looks like the EATX is just an ATX board that is over a certain amount of inches. Might be difficult for my mid tower case.
m
l
June 27, 2011 10:49:08 PM

Heh well, when I'm upgrading I'm not going to buy cheap parts, but I also am not going to spend more money than I have to. I'm quite satsified with my Antec 902 :) , and I've always preferred the larger Mid Sized towers rather than the full size. As long as you have decent cable management, the bigger of teh mid sizes are plenty big.
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
June 28, 2011 12:01:51 AM

jmills204 said:
Heh well, when I'm upgrading I'm not going to buy cheap parts, but I also am not going to spend more money than I have to. I'm quite satsified with my Antec 902 :) , and I've always preferred the larger Mid Sized towers rather than the full size. As long as you have decent cable management, the bigger of teh mid sizes are plenty big.

Yes agree in principle! However, this is no longer an upgrade! It has all the earmarks of a new build! :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 28, 2011 12:22:05 AM

Doesn't matter what you build, you will still have to wait for levels to load. Don't expect level load time to vanish, even if you use the fastest conceivable data storage (which might be one of those OCZ PCI card SSD things at the moment).

Your existing build should be pretty darn fast. You may well improve its frame rate from very very fast to obscenely fast, but once you hit the level load, I think you'll still be waiting (albeit not as long as we do!).
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 29, 2011 3:17:59 AM

Are we discussing merely Windows load times (disregarding the first several seconds of POST time, recognizing/verifying DMI pool data, etc.), or, game level load times?

What are the specs of your particular OCZ Vertex? It's hypothetical transfer rate, vs. actual sustained throughput in reading multiple small/medium files...

(Naturally, you should be near twice as fast as a single SSD in a Raid 0, but, it may take the onboard RAID controller a few seconds to establish/recognize the RAID...)

SATA II has hypothetical 3 gb sec (250 mb/sec?), so, you should be able to at least read approaching 500 MB/sec in a 'read from RAID 0' best case testing scenario...
June 29, 2011 7:28:10 PM

Best answer selected by jmills204.
m
l
June 29, 2011 7:29:32 PM

Yea I understand all that. To be honest, when RAIDing SSDs, most people won't see a performance increase in normal activity. However when archiving/copying/moving large files there is a significant increase. The increase is in the sustained read/write, the random read which is what makes SSDs shine is already so fast you won't notice much of a difference in RAID.
m
l
!