I need help. Is my video card dead?

I'm not sure if my 1-year-old GTS 250 is dead; hopefully someone can tell me if it really is or not.

Sequence of events (recent):
-Took it out of slot to organize wires and put it back.
-Tried to play games (GTAIV, Bad Company 2, Resident Evil 5) and all of them ended in a 'stopped working' event.
-Got a blue screen saying check for graphics drivers.
-Updated the drivers from 260 to 266.
-Turned off my comp.
-Turned it on, but my monitor says 'No signal.' However, everything else is good and I can even hear the Win7 welcome sound. Even the fan on the card is on.
-Turned it off.
-Refitted the card into place. Made sure the power was connected to it.
-Same thing.
-Tried my system with an older card (8600GTS) and it works. Haven't gotten a blue screen.

Other info:
Over the past few days I overclocked my CPU from 2.9 to 3.2 but made sure not to mess around with GPU settings.
I got 2 or 3 'Display Driver has stopped working' windows today.

So what's up with my system? Or what can I do to check for the root of the problem?
10 answers Last reply
More about help video card dead
  1. If your 8600gts worked straight away and nothing from the GTS250 on the same drivers it really looks like your GTS250 just died.
  2. aw man, i tried it again, and also with another power connector. nothing. i guess it is dead then.

i hate to spend my money T_T but what's a good replacement nowadays? 5770HD? ...
  3. The 5770 is good, but if you want to see a bigger improvement, you could go with a HD6850 or a GTX 460 IMO.
  4. What brand was your GTS250? Many have more than a years warranty.
  5. ^ Good point.
    Even if the card was several years old, there's no harm in calling whoever handles the warranty.
  6. BFG... I was reading up, and I saw that the 10-year warranty is only active if I register the card within 30 days of purchase. Never did : / Can u guys confirm on this rule?
  7. BFG no luck they are gone bankrupt and no support!
  8. T_T this is really bad luck, and this just happened recently, didnt it...
  9. Last year some time!
  10. Mannn, waste of $150 on my end.

Thanks though for the info here.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics