Sparky21

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Hi,

let me start by saying I hope im posting in the correct section of the forum, appolgies if not.

I used to be a bit of a flight sim nut when i was younger but havnt played it for years. Anyway i wanted to build a PC that would allow me to run maximum or 85% of maximum graphics settings. I was hoping someone would be able to help me who knows about the game and understands how intense it can be when the settings are maximised. Can anyone suggest a list of parts that would help me achive the above game settings? All though im a n00b when it comes to building PC's i have a friend who will assemble it all for me but he knows nothing about the game so doesnt want to tell me what to buy in case i dont achive what i want. This computer will be pureley for FSX and nothing else.

Hopefully someone can help
many thanks
mark

maef

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Without any information on your budget it's pretty much impossible to give you advice on what components to get, so how much do you plan on spending?

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Welcome Newcomer,

I think your question is "What are the system requirements to play FSX on high settings"? Here are the latest benchmarks that I could find from a couple of years ago: Benchmark Results: Flight Simulator X. Read it and weep - this app is no longer supported according to the review.

The good news is (assuming you still have the software) is that it will run flat out on just about any gaming machine you put together. If you don't have the discs, or want to see how much more intense it can get with newer/faster/better simulators, running on bigger/better machines, then get yourself a new gaming machine. Prices range from $500 to $1500.

Please fill out this form to let us know your budget and other preferences: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice. If you do not know the difference between SLI and Crossfire (or answers to any other of the esoteric questions) fear not - we can guide you through the maze.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
FSX and all of the microsoft flight simulators, have been much more of a CPU intense program than graphics card limited. That being said, pretty much any 800-1000 build you might see listed on the forum here should give you anything and everything you need to run FSX stock.

Addons are going to cause things to slow down, so depending on what extra airplanes or scenery you want to add can slow your simulation, but most of this was designed for a generation or two old hardware.

You could build a $500 pc and do just fine 90% of the time, $1k and never have problems unless your getting the most advanced addons and running them all, or $4k and never think of it again.

Sparky21

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: 2 weeks

Budget Range: 400 - 600 pounds

System Usage from Most to Least Important: FSX only

Parts Not Required: screen, keyboard, mouse/controllers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: UK website, not sure where's best.

Country of Origin: England

Parts Preferences: by brand or type which ever offers best performance for value, I'm not sure myself

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Unsure

Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200

Additional Comments: up to 2 monitors of 17" size and hdmi port to connect to tv as well

Hopefully this will help :D

Appreciate the input from all so far