Sign in with
Your question

Network Setup Help Please

Last response: in Networking
January 13, 2005 10:56:42 AM

Currently we have an Pentium III 450MHz - very old and we decided she needed retiring from primary use. This machine has a 3Com Combi (3C905) network card installed but is not networked to anything else (my ex had it set up as part of a small home network where I used to live). The only means of archiving files with this old PC is with the floppy drive - there is no CD-RW on it.

Last night we ordered our new computer and I'm now worrying about how I can transfer about 7Gb of data that needs transferring from the old PC to the new one. The new PC comes with a 10/100/1000 NIC already installed as well as a wi-fi card (don't understand at all about wi-fi).

I'm thinking that the easiest way to get the data over is by setting up some sort of a network but I need some advice/help on either how I can do this or where I can get some information on it. I've never done this before and don't know how the network cards will need configuring so the PCs can 'talk' to each other. Also what sort of cable will I need - I could borrow a cable from the network at work which has the BT phone socket like connectors on both ends (think this is RJ45?). Would this work?

Also, if it helps, I'm going to be getting broadband and have decided to get a Netgear DG834 Firewall Router to run the ADSL. Will having a router make configuring the network easier or will just having a cable between the two PCs be better?

Once I've transferred the data from old PC to new one, we won't need the network as the old PC is being moved upstairs for use in the music room - it won't need any resources that the other new computer will have.

Sorry for length of this plea for help and thanks in advance for kind assistance.

Jules

Edited to say: Ooooppsss - you'll need to know this too - the old machine is Windows 98 (not SE) and the new one is going to be running XP Home Edition. Sorry, I forgot.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by julielou2 on 01/13/05 08:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : network setup

January 13, 2005 4:58:54 PM

Having that Netgear will make the transfer a breeze. A direct connection between the computers would actually make it marginally more difficult :) 
Phone cables w/ RJ45 jacks on them will not work for networking. You will need Cat5 or Cat5e network cable.
Run one of these cables from the switch on that router to each machine. The router will assign an IP to each machine automatically so you don't need to do anything network config wise.
Once it is all hooked up create a shared folder on your XP computer. Just make a folder or choose one, right click on it and go to sharing and security. Under network sharing and security there will probably be a link to click that is sort of a disclaimer thing, click it and choose to just enable file sharing. Then check the box that says "share this folder on the network" and the box that says "allow network users to change my files". Hit ok and a little hand should appear under the file.
Now go to the 98 machine and go to start, run, \\(xp computer's name)\ and hit ok. It should pop up with a window showing the folder you just shared. Open that folder and just copy paste over everything you want to move over to the new machine.

Just in case you don't know it you can find the xp computers name or change it by doing this:
Right click on my computer, go to properties, go to computer name. The "full computer name" is the name of your computer. If you want to change it just hit change.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
January 14, 2005 7:43:08 AM

Thank you for your response.

A few questions back to clarify a couple of things:

"Run one of these cables from the switch on that router to each machine" - So I'm going to take the Cat5 cable and plug one end into the network card and the other end into the little hole on the router for both machines. Should the PCs be turned on or off when I do this?

Oh, actually you explained it so well that it was only one question! Not sure when the new PC will be delivered, a couple of weeks I suppose but will post back to let you know how I got on.

Thank you again!

Jules
Related resources
January 14, 2005 1:50:02 PM

You'll need two cables to create the connection. Both PCs should have the cable run from the network card to the router. So both PCs connect to the router via network cable.

The Windows 98 computer should probably be off and after the connection, turn on and a light should come up on the router. The XP computer should pick up a connection in a few seconds.

Verify the computers by doing this:

Win98
Start - type 'run' click ok - black screen comes up - type 'winipcfg' hit enter.
You should get an IP Address.... 192.168.1.x
In that case you're on the network. Anything else, you have a problem.

Windows XP:
Start - Network Connections - Double click Local Area Connection - Click the Support Tab.
Should see the same information as you do on the 98. Again the IP should be 192.168.1.x

At this point you're computers should be almost ready.

On the Windows 98 computer:
Go under My Computer - Right Click the C: drive. Click Sharing - click Share As and name it like "C" and click ok.

On your Windows XP computer you can go to Start - Run and type '\\192.168.1.x\C' where X is the last digit of the 98 computer's address.

This will give you access to the C: drive.

You can also Right Click on My Computer under Start or on the Desktop, go to Map Network Drive.
\\192.168.1.x\C or you can use the computer name, \\computername\C and it should map a drive (similar to C, probably E or F on the XP computer).

I recommend establishing the connection from the XP computer to the 98, not 98 to XP because of the security problems you could run into when trying to create that connection.

Riser
January 14, 2005 7:07:49 PM

Thank you Riser - that's great! I'm chomping at the bit to get it done now. Just got to wait patiently for the new PC to arrive.

Jules
February 4, 2005 1:43:09 PM

Just a little update to let you know that my PC arrived and that networking worked as soon as I plugged the 2nd patch cable from the new pc nic to the router. Broadband worked and the new pc could see the old pc's files immediately!

Thank you so much for your help!
!