Sign in with
Your question

How to find my product key

Last response: in Windows 8
January 11, 2013 5:52:16 AM

Hello all,

Recently I just purchased this Samsung series 3 laptop and i'm overall satisfied with the performance it gives. The only thing I hate about it is it carries Windows 8 even though the laptop itself is a non touch screen model. I find windows 8 to be frustrating because lots of software I have on my desktop doesn't work due to it being windows 8 and I have even ran it in compatibility mode for windows 7.

I have a key for windows 7 home and I wanna install it on my laptop.

However, I don't want the activation key for windows 8 to go to waste though. Is there anyway to extract the key with a program of some kind?

If I were to call Samsung would they give me the serial key for the OS as I do have the receipt in hand from BestBuy?

Thanks

More about : find product key

January 11, 2013 5:58:33 AM

that activation key that came with your laptop, is bound to it, so theres no way to transfer it to another machine.
January 11, 2013 6:00:37 AM

daswilhelm said:
that activation key that came with your laptop, is bound to it, so theres no way to transfer it to another machine.

Really? That sucks... :( 

I really feel that its a waste if I do a windows 7 install and lose the windows 8 key. Is there anything I can do by calling Microsoft or Windows?
Related resources
January 11, 2013 6:06:41 AM

no, its an oem copy, tied to that machine.
January 11, 2013 6:17:25 AM

Window that comes with the laptops are OEM version and as far as i know, they are non transferable.

One most important thing is to check whether there are window 7 driver for ur laptop model coz if samsung don't have them, there is no point changing ur OS.

Make sure to burn factory restore disk before u do anything else.
January 11, 2013 6:19:49 AM

ttcboy said:
Window that comes with the laptops are OEM version and as far as i know, they are non transferable.

One most important thing is to check whether there are window 7 driver for ur laptop model coz if samsung don't have them, there is no point changing ur OS.

Make sure to burn factory restore disk before u do anything else.

Yeah I hope they have drivers for the laptop lol.

Ill make a restore disk tonight

Thanks!
January 11, 2013 6:23:53 AM

The windows 8 key is in under the laptop and some companies put that key in bios for automatic activation and reduce the risk of genius errors .
update windows all programs work without any issue by updating .
January 11, 2013 6:26:08 AM

If it is Windows 8 Pro you can legally downgrade to Windows 7 Pro.
!