How to find my product key

Hello all,

Recently I just purchased this Samsung series 3 laptop and i'm overall satisfied with the performance it gives. The only thing I hate about it is it carries Windows 8 even though the laptop itself is a non touch screen model. I find windows 8 to be frustrating because lots of software I have on my desktop doesn't work due to it being windows 8 and I have even ran it in compatibility mode for windows 7.

I have a key for windows 7 home and I wanna install it on my laptop.

However, I don't want the activation key for windows 8 to go to waste though. Is there anyway to extract the key with a program of some kind?

If I were to call Samsung would they give me the serial key for the OS as I do have the receipt in hand from BestBuy?

Thanks
Reply to pablo3264
7 answers Last reply
More about find product
  1. that activation key that came with your laptop, is bound to it, so theres no way to transfer it to another machine.
    Reply to daswilhelm
  2. daswilhelm said:
    that activation key that came with your laptop, is bound to it, so theres no way to transfer it to another machine.

Really? That sucks... :(

I really feel that its a waste if I do a windows 7 install and lose the windows 8 key. Is there anything I can do by calling Microsoft or Windows?
    Reply to pablo3264
  3. no, its an oem copy, tied to that machine.
    Reply to daswilhelm
  4. Window that comes with the laptops are OEM version and as far as i know, they are non transferable.

One most important thing is to check whether there are window 7 driver for ur laptop model coz if samsung don't have them, there is no point changing ur OS.

Make sure to burn factory restore disk before u do anything else.
    Reply to ttcboy
  5. ttcboy said:
    Window that comes with the laptops are OEM version and as far as i know, they are non transferable.

One most important thing is to check whether there are window 7 driver for ur laptop model coz if samsung don't have them, there is no point changing ur OS.

Make sure to burn factory restore disk before u do anything else.

Yeah I hope they have drivers for the laptop lol.

Ill make a restore disk tonight

Thanks!
    Reply to pablo3264
  6. The windows 8 key is in under the laptop and some companies put that key in bios for automatic activation and reduce the risk of genius errors .
    update windows all programs work without any issue by updating .
    Reply to hytecgowthaman
  7. If it is Windows 8 Pro you can legally downgrade to Windows 7 Pro.
    Reply to zander1983
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Laptops Windows 8