Precise constant stuttering with 6870

dizmang2

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
For some reason My HIS 6870 started stuttering in all of my games. Its very constant and not random, basically happens when I move to new graphic parts. It isn't that big of a hinder on some games, but for league of legends its god awful. It matters not the graphical settings, its always the same.

I know for a fact it is my gcard, because I put my old one in and my comps running fine.

Just upgraded psu from 500w to 750w (and switched back) , reseated card a couple of times and uninstalled then reinstalled the drivers and nothings fixing it.

When i was putting in the new psu i kinda scrapped my finger on the outside of the card, but i really doubt that would be the cause.

The only thing i can really think to do next is reformat, but there has to be an easier thing to try out.

Any advice or info on the cards acting up like this?

Games that I have played with to test this: Mabinogi and league of legends (online) The witcher (offline).

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Ah right ok.

And do these problems persist with the old PSU back in place (assuming he's re-instated the old working PSU)?

If so, it sounds like he may need to run a battery of tests to rule out damage to other parts.

Memtest for the RAM

Try a known working graphics card just for good measure

Driver Sweeper display drivers and re install from fresh

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

A new PSU potentially caused the problem, and whether a game is considered to be 'gaylord' or not is an entirely subjective issue.

He said when he put the old psu back in, same problem. Sooo....sounds like he damaged the card somehow. Possibly not removing all the power from the motherboards capacitors before the swap, I don't know, I've seen that fry ram slots before.

yeah that is quite possible, why not rma the card then or try another card to see if the problem persists? but yeah if the motherboard was still getting power when certain components were removed then that could cause big problems imo such as a kentucky fried gpu