Sign in with
Your question

Very, very strange problem

Last response: in Components
June 28, 2011 12:49:02 AM

Hi!

Since I upgraded my PC from Intel E4500(OC'd), 3GB DDR2, and ASUS P5B-E to i5 2500K (no OC), 8GB DDR3, and ASUS P8P67Pro
my computer has started to shut down (hard reboot, w/o BSOD) when I use anything graphic card related. For example,
the computer works flawless in Safe Mode where I can surf and watch videos for hours, but I soon as I enter normal mode and watch
a video, start a computer game, or surf with GPU acceleration, it turns off.

I've reinstalled Windows, changed HDD, run Memtest86+ for 12h w/o errors, used one memory stick, changed motherboard, and underclocked my CPU. Nothing
works and I wonder if you guys think the reason is my PSU (Antec Smartpower 2.0 450W ~3y old), or my graphic card (HD4830, oddly used
with the same PSU in my pre-upgrade system)? :??: 

More about : very strange problem

a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2011 1:30:04 AM

I'm leaning more towards the graphics card being the problem, but it could be either -- you'd need to test with another graphics card or another power supply to find out which.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2011 1:38:10 AM

You should get a new PSU anyway.
a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2011 2:28:13 AM

^ i would have to concur with the PSU being faulty. If the computer is literally turning off, it is most likely a power issue. Although you can get hard shutdowns if something is overheating and reaches shutdown temperature. Check your temps.
June 28, 2011 11:30:20 AM

popatim said:
Weird things happen when you use unsupported cpu's.
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

They sure do, but I'm not using my 2500k with my old P5B-E MB, read my first post again..

iam2thecrowe said:
^ i would have to concur with the PSU being faulty. If the computer is literally turning off, it is most likely a power issue. Although you can get hard shutdowns if something is overheating and reaches shutdown temperature. Check your temps.

The CPU remains under 70C during 100% load. Regarding the GPU, the computer shuts down before it has a chance to reach load, but idle is 30C.

a b ) Power supply
June 28, 2011 7:23:07 PM

Opps My Bad. I wasn't even going to ask how you got it to fit much less work. LOL

You did connect the 6 pin pcie power cable right?
Can you breadboard your old system back together and see if it works with this GPU and PSU?
June 28, 2011 7:33:55 PM

I have to agree with the folks who said "PSU"
!