toiletninja

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
My CPU cooler is a bit weird and I have three power connectors for it. Anyway, I've ran out of connectors on the mobo but I have an adapter for the psu. Now I'm wondering: does the fan go faster if connected directly into the psu? Thanks.

Also, does it make a difference if I plug one of the CPU fans into the chassis fan port instead of the CPU fan port on the motherboard?

Solution

I am saying plug it into the motherboard header named "CPU_Fan" - or else, the motherboard has no way of recognizing the presence of such a fan to cool the CPU. And yes, any fan plugged in directly to the PSU will run at full speed; 100%.

Fans plugged into mobo fan headers can be controlled by the mobo to a set speed profile, by settings in the BIOS. The User Manual will explain this well.
The CPU fan must be plugged into the CPU_Fan header on the motherboard. During POST it looks for this in order to protect the CPU from overheating. You may plug in other fans directly to the PSU and daisy-chain them if desired, but not the CPU fan. The mobo will control the speed of this fan as necessary.

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

No, it will spin according to how hot your processor gets, assuming your motherboard supports fan control, which it should.
So at high load, it will spin faster for more cooling.

I am saying plug it into the motherboard header named "CPU_Fan" - or else, the motherboard has no way of recognizing the presence of such a fan to cool the CPU. And yes, any fan plugged in directly to the PSU will run at full speed; 100%.

Fans plugged into mobo fan headers can be controlled by the mobo to a set speed profile, by settings in the BIOS. The User Manual will explain this well.

Solution

toiletninja

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

I'll assume that happens if I connected it directly to the mobo, not the psu.

Anyway thanks.

I have three power connectors for my cooler. This is what I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010

I connected two of the seemingly more important ones to the mobo then I ran out of ports, so I connected the last one directly to the psu.