Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2011 8:13:39 PM

Hey guys, this is my new build and these are my questions:

Case
HAF X
CPU
Intel Core i7-2600
OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (OEM)
Optical Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST Black SATA 24X DVD-Writer 24xDVD+R/-R 24xDVD+/-R DL 8xDVD+RW/6xDVD-RW 48xCD-R OEM
SSD
OCZ (OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G) Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" 60GB Solid State Drive
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black (WD5002AALX) 500GB SATA3 7200RPM 32M Cache (OEM)
Memory
G.SKILL Trident Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel Kit
Graphics Card
Asus EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 DirectCU ATI Radeon HD 6850 Chipset (790MHz ) 1GB (4.0Ghz) GDDR5 Dual Display DVI/DisplayPort PCI-Express 2.1 Graphics Card
Motherboard
ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3)Socket
Power Supply
Corsair TX Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX

1: How do I enable hyper-threading if it's not already enabled?
2: I read that the SSD I have supports TRIM, how do I enable that if it's not enabled already?
3: I've got 60 GB but it's showing 55 GB for my SSD, why?
4: The Windows Experience Index rated my primary hard disk from 7.3 to 7.2. Why did it go down?
5: I used CCleaner before on my old build, would using that affect my SSD?
6: How do I install Chrome in a location of my choosing?
7: Can someone please show me a "Before" and "After" pictures of what bent motherboard pins would look like? The reason I ask is because I put together my hardware for the first time and it would work fine, then it would screw up. It got to the point where it alternated between working and breaking. I just went ahead and paid a professional to unintall/reinstall all my hardware. According to him, it's because I bent the pins on the motherboard, but when I took a look at it, it looked fine to me. Long story short, I pad an additonal $180 to replace my motherboard with an exact same one

If you folks would kindly please answer these questions, that would be greatly appreciated and it would also give me a piece of mind.

EDIT: I was able to place the CPU and properly close the latch, would I have been able to do that if the pins were bent? When I look directly above the pins, it looks straight, but when I look at it in different angles, it looks bent (or maybe I'm just that paranoid). Some of the bent motherboard pins I found on Google was obviously bent. Mine looks similar to the image below:

More about : questions

March 28, 2011 12:07:47 PM

[Bump, sorry.]

Anyone?
m
l

Best solution

April 30, 2011 9:45:34 PM

Just a few thoughts, I welcome corrections...

#1. Enabling HT usually requires changing the appropriately-labeled setting in BIOS, and an OS (and of course CPU) that supports it.

#2. It *sounds* like it should already be enabled if your device supports it and you're running Win7. If not, there's a command that lets you check on that.
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/10259-ssd-s...

#3. Some capacity is always lost due to differences in how 1GB is defined (1000 MB @ the hardware, 1024 @ Windows). Also formatting itself requires some space.

#4. Have you acquired some fragmentation since the system assessment was last run? Filled more space on the hard drive? Maybe even related to disabled TRIM support?

#5. It seems possible at least if you've run it heavily and TRIM isn't refreshing your SSD's writable areas. I don't know for sure though.

#6. http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid...

#7. Regarding bent pins: If you place your mouse right in the middle of that image and move right a bit, you'll be pointing right at (what appears to be) some pretty bent-up pins (unless that's a trick of the lighting again).

Best Wishes,
-Jon
Related resources
May 7, 2011 2:47:00 PM

TH-Jon said:
Just a few thoughts, I welcome corrections...

#1. Enabling HT usually requires changing the appropriately-labeled setting in BIOS, and an OS (and of course CPU) that supports it.

#2. It *sounds* like it should already be enabled if your device supports it and you're running Win7. If not, there's a command that lets you check on that.
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/10259-ssd-s...

#3. Some capacity is always lost due to differences in how 1GB is defined (1000 MB @ the hardware, 1024 @ Windows). Also formatting itself requires some space.

#4. Have you acquired some fragmentation since the system assessment was last run? Filled more space on the hard drive? Maybe even related to disabled TRIM support?

#5. It seems possible at least if you've run it heavily and TRIM isn't refreshing your SSD's writable areas. I don't know for sure though.

#6. http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid...

#7. Regarding bent pins: If you place your mouse right in the middle of that image and move right a bit, you'll be pointing right at (what appears to be) some pretty bent-up pins (unless that's a trick of the lighting again).

Best Wishes,
-Jon

Thank you for replying Jon
m
l
May 7, 2011 2:47:10 PM

Best answer selected by Version-eX.
m
l
!