Sign in with
Your question

New Build, should I bother with a new video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2011 12:08:55 PM

So this is a pretty tight budget build and the only thing i can't really decide on is if I should replace my video card. right now my build sits at $340 shipped to my door I would be looking to spend right around $150, it doesn't seem like it's very easy to find a great deal on a video card.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I would like to order it before sunday ends.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Large varity of gaming, movies, browsing, ect.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: These are the 2 parts I'm thinking of salvaging from my previous build. Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W PSU, and a BFG Tech Nvidia Geforce 9600GT "OC" 512MB which I paid $70 for 10 months ago.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 545 hoping to unlock and overclock cooled with XIGMATEK's HDT-S1283 a 120mm rifle CPU cooler. Using combo'd XIGMATEK thermal grease.
MOBO: ASROCK 770 Extreme3 this board has everything I want and nothing I do not want at a very cool price. (I do not want on-board video, I did want USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s, eSata, and enough audio ports to connect my surround sound headset into)
RAM: GeIL Black Dragon 4GB DDR3 1333 2x2 here is somewhere that I feel like I'm taking a little bit of a risk, I am unable to find any reviews on these sticks but they seem to fill my needs and I'm willing to take a shot. Specs are listed as 6-6-6 timing with a cas of 6 as well. Figured 4GB is good enough.
HDD: WD Caviar Green 500gb
Case: Wrapped in HEC's Blitz Black Steel Edition it's cheap case with free shipping that isn't terrifying, they say it comes with 2 120mm and I eye room for more.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Have purchased from Newegg and Tigerdirect COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None really

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: NO

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Acer 23" 1680x1050
a c 1406 U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 12:53:57 PM

It is fine to carry over your PSU and GPU to the new build for budget reasons. The 9600gt is getting on the low end though performance wise. Your PSU has passive PFC (little voltages switch in the back) and is not the best unit but is rated high for your system so will not have to run on max load, it is though the part I would replace first with a quality unit with active PFC.
m
l
January 23, 2011 1:10:18 PM

do you think an antec earthwatts 380w would be sufficient?
m
l
!