Compaq p4 computer keeps loosing programing- hd tests out good so does memory on

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockngranny

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
computer keeps loosing programing sometimes it will reload sometimes it cant detect the hd or the cd/rom player the hd tests good as does the memory cards only thing i can find is processor is overheating -heat sink has been cleaned fans working and even has a house type fan blowing into open case to help cool it sometimes it works ok for a week sometimes 15 min. and it goes down again then i have to completely reload windows and sometimes it refuses to take the program says files are corrupt the next time i try it may take one of my windows programs- xp- vista or windows 7 is there any cure or should i junk it and get another computer?

Solution
212 deg F is 100 degrees Celsius which MUCH too hot
try blowing out the heatsink and fan on CPU with canned air
make sure fan is running while computer is on
sounds like a motherboard or powersupply

if your sure it is not the HD

I hate to say it
but if you can afford "retire it" (junk it)
than I think it is time to let her rest in pieces

that era of OEM towers had problems with bad capacitors
HP Dell and Compaq bought bad caps and alot of mobos went bad

I like to keep old computers up and going
but if a new system is an option
then I would do it

The cheapest slowest computer you can find now
will blow away a Pentium 4
Seriously there are intel atom netbooks that will beat them

it might end up costing you over a hundred US dollars to fix
just not worth it

rockngranny

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
hd passed test in bios and the one in windows 7 program and an online test from the manufacturer-tested the memory cards also they showed ok the only abnormality was the processor was running at 212 deg f.

rockngranny

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
also was told to look at mb for bulging caps but they look fine no bets they are tho
i replaced the hd about 6 months ago and it has passed all tests i could find to put it through i wondered if the pentium 4 processor could have gone nuts? most problems started after we had a storm with a lot of lightning could it have causes some of the problems?

rockngranny

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
took heatsink off and cleaned it was gummed up reinstalled it and fan is running also a house type fan is blowing through the case to try to help cool it- if i put sides back on case it runs even hotter so leave them off

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS