Toshiba laptop video problem

SummrGrl623

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Hello, My Toshiba Satellite boots up fine, I see the logo, have even gotten as far as seeing my desktop sometimes, but then the screen flickers and goes black. I noticed it flickering some when it was working properly, before this started happening. I can see things, if I look hard enough, even though the screen is black, so I know the computer is up and running. What can I do? have already tried the "remove batter, hold power button down for a time, reinstall battery, etc. fix, but that did not work for me. Help!

This happened to my mother-in-law's Toshiba just about 3-4 months ago. It sounds like the backlight on your display is failing or shorted out. She could see her screen for about 20 seconds at a time after rebooting. Sometimes it would suddenly work, and then go out again. Straining heavily you could just barely make out images on the screen that weren't being lit from behind. Unfortunately opening/closing the lid, or changing the angle on it never helped. :(

She was able to use the VGA out on the side of the laptop (which you activate on the keyboard) to view things until she got a new laptop.

covejr99

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012

Ours does the exact same thing. Have you found a fix? I have found that if I open the lid very slowly, it seems to help until I go past a certain point.