Sign in with
Your question

Help Me Build A Good Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
March 27, 2011 9:25:24 PM

Hello All!!
This is my first build.
Approximate Purchase Date: A month or so if possible, but no crucial deadline.
Budget Range: The lower the better obviously, hopefully around 1000-1500.
System Usage: This is the tricky bit. I will use the computer for a lot of stuff, from animation and game design(2D and 3D), 3d modeling, graphic design, video editing, special effects, and also gaming.
Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Moniter, RAM, OS.
Overclocking: No.
SLI or Crossfire: Not sure what these mean, but probably not, unless you recommend it for my usage(above).
Monitor Resolution:1024x768
Additional Comments: Basically, I need to upgrade my CPU, MOBO, and Video Card. The rest I have.

Would these work together? And support 64 bit?
Intel DP55SB Motherboard
Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz 8 MB LGA1156 Processor BX80605I5760

Also, what Video Card would you recommend that would fit my needs?

Thanks.

More about : build good gaming

March 28, 2011 1:37:09 AM

Well, what are you upgrading from? You will probalby need to add memory to your list. I would strongly suggest considering a second monitor, which is always fun when you do a lot of things all at once.

You are looking at last year's hardware here, and it was second tier then. You only have about $300 showing - do you really want to spend $1000?

All the things at the beginning of your list are CPU iintensive, so you need to soemthing stronger for a CPU - consider an 17-2600K. Gaming is last in the list and that typically determines the video card(s) you need - which games do you like, or would you play if you had a new machine?

Another factor that will influence what gets recommended are the other parts you are reusing. You may need a new power supply to hadle multiple (SLI or Crossfire) video cards, for example. Need to know what case, so that the video cards will fit.
m
l
March 28, 2011 10:20:45 AM

I have 1.5gb Ram, so I will probably buy an additional 2gb more.
I don't want to spend 1000, the less the better, but I am willing to if necessary.

I wasn't aware that it was last years hardware. What motherboard would you recommend for the Intel i7?

As to the other parts, I'm not sure how to get that information. Would a dxDiag do, or is that another thing entirely?
Sorry, this is my first build.
Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2011 11:16:21 AM

I should be the one to apologize - I assumed that when you said you had all the other parts that you were experienced, but you were pretty clear it was your first build.

The good news is: Your budget should be fine to build a brand new, state of the art computer.

Now, the bad news is that there is a pretty good chance you will not be able to use much from your current PC. The technology has progressed so quickly that most components are obsolete, because the new ones that replaced them are so much better.

Just in case I am wrong on some stuff, let me ask a these questions:

How long ago did you buy your PC?
Is it a "name" brand like Dell, Compaq or HP?
If so, what is the model number?

Just a little more not so good news: the list of activities you gave calls for high end powerful stuff, so the budget is going to be closer to $1,500, and you could easily spend more. If you want to get a picture of some of the components you are interested in, then take a look at the recent Tom's Hardware articles for last week's System Builder Marathon articles:

$2000 Performance PC

$1000 Enthusiast PC

You could have some mix of these two configurations that is optimized for your particular needs.
m
l
March 28, 2011 3:40:57 PM

He's right, you probably can't use anything from your exsiting machine apart from the mouse, keyboard and monitor. You will really need to upgrade the whole base unit.

On the plus side, this is why we have eBay, so you can sell your base unit once you have your new PC built, which will help to offset the cost nicely :) 

I think the $1000 "Enthusiast" PC above is pretty weak, lacks an SSD (essential for any new PC today IMO), you don't need a special CPU cooler if you're not going to be overclocking, and that case looks ugly as all hell. So here's my recommendation:

SSD - $210
OCZ Vertex 2 120gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227590

Motherboard - $135
GIGABYTE GA-P67A
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128476

CPU - £210
Intel Core i5-2500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115073

RAM - $54
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145251

Case - $50
Antec One Hundred
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129098

Graphics - $250
Asus Nvidia GTX560i
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121424

Hard Disk - $65
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Power Supply - $55
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139019

DVD Drive - $19
ASUS Black 24X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Total: $1067
m
l
March 28, 2011 4:14:16 PM

Ten98 said:

Here's my recommendation:

I'll take a look at that, but...
Are you sure that will work for the activities I will be doing on my computer?

eloric said:

Now, the bad news is that there is a pretty good chance you will not be able to use much from your current PC. The technology has progressed so quickly that most components are obsolete, because the new ones that replaced them are so much better.

You are probably right, but just to be sure, and to avoid unnecessary costs, I downloaded Speccy. Here are the parts I am using:
CPU
Intel Pentium D 915
Intel Pentium D 915
Presler 65nm Technology

RAM
1.5GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 267MHz (4-4-4-12)

Motherboard
P4M800P-8237 (Socket 775)

Graphics
DELL E153FP (1024x768@60Hz)
VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP

Hard Drives
156GB FUJITSU MAXTOR STM3160211AS (SATA)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H20N

I'm not sure if that is relevant, but I was wondering if I could reuse any of those parts.

eloric said:

How long ago did you buy your PC?
Is it a "name" brand like Dell, Compaq or HP?
If so, what is the model number?

I bought it around four years ago, but it was a custom build. Supposedly it was for gaming. It's safe to say I got scammed.

Thanks for all the help so far.
m
l
March 29, 2011 7:10:06 PM

Sorry for the bump, but I still need help.
m
l
March 29, 2011 11:38:36 PM

Hi Sadzeem, sorry for the delay. You could bring forward your hard drive for legacy purposes, but nothing else is really worth saving in that list. I imagine the power supply is about at the end of its life. The case? Who knows. Also, weather you got a good deal or not does not really matter - you will get the best deal possible here!

First, since you did not answer the question of what country you are in, I will assume the purchases are in US dollars from Newegg.

Motherboard - $142 - This is a nice reasonably priced motherboard. Good choice, Ten98. GIGABYTE GA-P67A

CPU - $329 After reading the review of the System Builder Marathon today, I just have to go with the i7 rather than the i5. Plus, you really owe it to yourself to overclock, since it is so easy to do these days.
Intel Core i7-2600K

RAM - $80 - Let's upgrade this since there will be a lot of heavy processing going on here. G.SKILL Value Series 8GB

Case - $72 - this is going to be an easier build for a novice, and is only 12 dollars more when you consider shipping.
Antec Three Hundred This case is great in a lot of ways, but does not have a much in the way of cable management. Do yourself a favor, and get this 8 pin extension for $7.

Graphics - $158 Going to take a step down here, since gaming was last on the list. This card will still play most games and quite acceptable levels. HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB

Hard Disk - $54 with promo code EMCKGHA33, ends 4/4. Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

Power Supply - $48 CORSAIR Builder Series CX600

Heat Sink: $28 OK, so I said Newegg, but they jacked up the price of this fine product, and cahrge over $7 in shipping. That just rubs me the wrong way! Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

DVD Drive - $20 Sony Optiarc Black 24X

SSD: $120 This is optional, but still a wonderful addition. OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB

Total: $1151, which includes shipping.

You can get much closer to $1000 if you take off the SSD. You can spend more by upgrading the video to an HD Radeon 6950, 2GB card.

m
l
March 31, 2011 5:32:03 PM

Alright! Thanks a lot for your help!
I will probably use your build eloric, so thanks to all the hard work you put into it.
If you, or anyone else has anything to add, please do.

I'll let you guys know what I end up buying.
m
l
August 20, 2011 11:21:08 PM

So after consulting with several different people I came up with this:

Motherboard - ASRock P67 Extreme4
CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K
RAM - G.SKILL Value Series 8GB
Case - Lexa S.
Graphics - GIGABYTE GV-R695D5-2GD-B
Hard Disk - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Power Supply - Antec Earthwatts EA-650 Green
Heat Sink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
DVD Drive - Sony Optiarc Black 24X

Total: $997

Just a couple of questions.

Is this still a good choice? Does this support multiple monitors? Remember, I am a game designer, so I need to be able to run the latest graphics.
m
l
August 21, 2011 3:23:23 AM

sadzeem said:
Hello All!!
This is my first build.
Approximate Purchase Date: A month or so if possible, but no crucial deadline.
Budget Range: The lower the better obviously, hopefully around 1000-1500.
System Usage: This is the tricky bit. I will use the computer for a lot of stuff, from animation and game design(2D and 3D), 3d modeling, graphic design, video editing, special effects, and also gaming.
Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Moniter, RAM, OS.
Overclocking: No.
SLI or Crossfire: Not sure what these mean, but probably not, unless you recommend it for my usage(above).
Monitor Resolution:1024x768
Additional Comments: Basically, I need to upgrade my CPU, MOBO, and Video Card. The rest I have.

Would these work together? And support 64 bit?
Intel DP55SB Motherboard
Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz 8 MB LGA1156 Processor BX80605I5760

Also, what Video Card would you recommend that would fit my needs?

Thanks.

The motherboard and CPU will work together as they are the same socket type (1156) I see a lot of people buying (1155) motherboards and (1156) CPU's and they don't work so you got that right! SLI and Crossfire means you can run more than one graphics card together providing you have enough power, right mobo, enough slots and the right monitor to use its power. Basically you can take two identical video cards like the Nvidia GTX 570 and link another to it to make your graphics and performance better...works the same way with AMD/ATI graphics cards! If you want a good gaming PC for budget I would get an AMD CPU (Phenom II 955 quad core), AMD Motherboard (AM3 Socket), 4GB RAM DDR3, 650w PSU and a AMD/ATI 6870 video card unless you like Nvidia get the GTX 560. Oh and a better monitor that will utilize a resolution of at least 1680x1050.
m
l
August 21, 2011 2:35:40 PM

badoosh said:
The motherboard and CPU will work together as they are the same socket type (1156) I see a lot of people buying (1155) motherboards and (1156) CPU's and they don't work so you got that right! SLI and Crossfire means you can run more than one graphics card together providing you have enough power, right mobo, enough slots and the right monitor to use its power. Basically you can take two identical video cards like the Nvidia GTX 570 and link another to it to make your graphics and performance better...works the same way with AMD/ATI graphics cards! If you want a good gaming PC for budget I would get an AMD CPU (Phenom II 955 quad core), AMD Motherboard (AM3 Socket), 4GB RAM DDR3, 650w PSU and a AMD/ATI 6870 video card unless you like Nvidia get the GTX 560. Oh and a better monitor that will utilize a resolution of at least 1680x1050.

Thanks, but I actually already got some great response for that post. Could you please answer my most recent post, the one right above yours?
m
l
August 22, 2011 4:24:11 PM

One more question:
In future, how would I go about connecting more monitors? Like three or four.
I'm not saying I will, but I'd like to have the option.
m
l
August 26, 2011 9:30:37 AM

Hi, sorry for the bump, but I still need these questions answered.
m
l
!