- Intel LGA775 Platform
- FSB 1600(O.C.)/1333/1066/800
- Dual-Channel DDR2 1066(O.C*)/800/667

G Skill DDR2 1066 PC2 (8500) 2x 2G 2.0v RAM

Asus C729MP Rev. 1.0
EN 9500 GT/D7/16D2/V2/A PCIe 2.0* x16

*(O.C.) - Over Clocked

That's the specs of this machine.
It locks up and takes a real long time loading stuff. I am pointing toward RAM because the ram needs to be overclocked to be used with this motherboard due to speed. Plus a graphics card wouldn't make it freeze it would just give a bad resolutions or fuzzy junk. Power Supply is possible too, but the calculations I made said the PC only really uses about 420 Watts of power? I mean that's close but the computer should handle it right? Built this myself for a friend and kinda screwed up what parts I got. Now I feel horrible so I wanna try and fix it for him as a gift when he get's home from the navy. Any ides guys?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 8:19:21 PM

nope the ram is underclocked actually the OC means that you can run rams of 1066mhz clock in dual channel mode if you overclock the system not the ram , first things first check if its overheating thats usually the problem ,try airblowing the dust and check if its overheating if it is check the cpu cooler , let me know what happens
m
l
March 1, 2012 10:44:26 PM

h3sham said:
nope the ram is underclocked actually the OC means that you can run rams of 1066mhz clock in dual channel mode if you overclock the system not the ram , first things first check if its overheating thats usually the problem ,try airblowing the dust and check if its overheating if it is check the cpu cooler , let me know what happens

I don't believe it is heat because the inside of the PC is not dusty for the most part. I mean light dust, but nothing incredible. I have seen much much worse in a functioning PC. Also the boot time for this PC is like 10 mins or more. It takes forever.
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2012 10:47:59 PM

Plus Ubuntu 10.4.1 LTS runs okay speed from a CD. Not super fast or quite as fast as it should but it boots in less than 5mins and runs okay. Any other suggestions?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 10:52:05 PM

well like i said you need to check wether or not is it an overheating problem , dust could be the problem but also if the heatsink is not installed right can cause or if it needs cooling paste or if the fan stops working...to many IFs casuing one probelm which causes freezing and locking and slow performance so once we rule it out we check for other causes
m
l
March 2, 2012 3:25:03 PM

Alright. I'll pick up some canned air and see what happens. I guess having a miss-seated CPU could cause lockups. Not sure how much thermal paste I put on cause it was a while ago now, but that could be the problem too.
m
l
March 8, 2012 11:06:19 PM

Hey, Checked the temperature on the CPU. running [38 deg C / 100 deg F], [MB temp runs 32 deg C / 89.5 deg F] So not sure if that's that hot, but IDK if heat is the issue. I have vacation next week so more work will be done later on.

Also checked compatibility of the RAM. and I got a big no on GSkill ram. Not one model was recommended from ASUS. So I might end up getting some 1066 or 800 ram from another vendor.
either

2G Apacer AHU02GE800C5N1C 5 Apacer DS Heat-Sink Package
or
2G Kingston KHX6400D2K2/2G N/A Kingston DS Heat-Sink Package

ok did research Kingston is the only choice because it is the only one that runs dual channel.
m
l
April 16, 2013 10:29:04 PM

Well, I kind of solved this. I got Windows 8 Pro and installed it on a similar machine with differences in CPU and GPU. I then took it out and put it into the malfunctioning machine. I waited while Windows 8 updated itself and it works just fine. temps at 46, 40, 35, 36 Celsius. No lags or freezes. Not sure what Windows 8 did, but glad I got it working!
m
l
!