Acquire target (loop 10 times) - vgap4 fighter wiki

From
Http://shove-it.de/open/jochen/wiki/index.php/Fighter_Stats#Begin_Attack_Run:
_____________________________________
Begin Attack Run

For each fighter type in wing (loop 3 times):
BEGIN BEAM
If Fighter Type has Beam and there is enough energy (>10) to fire.
Acquire target (loop 10 times)
_____________________________________

What does that "Acquire target (loop 10 times)" realy means?
Has each wing a top ten list of targets which is checked each tick for a
suitable target before the fighter weapon will fire?
It does not mean that the wing can fire at max 10 times per combat tick,
correct?

GFM GToeroe
8 answers Last reply
More about acquire target loop times vgap4 fighter wiki

    It *can* fire up to 10 times. However, there are conceivably times
    when the wing might aquire a "friendly" target. It checks for such
    before firing.

    I do not have access to the code of the subroutine that does the
    aquiring, so I don't know how often such a mistake would be made.

    So can a wing actually fire 10 times in that tick (assuming it has
    enough (100) battery)?

    If so, then theoretically a wing with high enough generator & battery
    (enough to add 100 new charge each tick) and a battery of 100 'could'
    fire 10 times each tick... right?

    Question: Is that 5% chance for a fighter to fire a chance for each
    individual fighter in the wing? Does it loop and check each individual
    fighter and keep a total or how exactly does this part work? i.e. If
    you have 100 fighters in the wing, do you get 5% of them to fire each
    of the 10 checks to fire in each tick?

    So many questions I have.... Thanks for advance for any answers you
    provide.

    Amaranthine schrieb:
    > It *can* fire up to 10 times. However, there are conceivably times
    > when the wing might aquire a "friendly" target. It checks for such
    > before firing.
    >
    > I do not have access to the code of the subroutine that does the
    > aquiring, so I don't know how often such a mistake would be made.

    thanks

    > A generator power of 10 do not mean that 10 is added to the battery
    > The output of a single fighter of type i in a wing is now

    I understood that part... but my question was, can your wing
    theoretically fire 10 times per tick (assuming target acquisition
    'works' on all 10 tries)?

    > > Question: Is that 5% chance for a fighter to fire a chance for each
    > > individual fighter in the wing? Does it loop and check each individual
    > > fighter and keep a total or how exactly does this part work? i.e. If
    > > you have 100 fighters in the wing, do you get 5% of them to fire each
    > > of the 10 checks to fire in each tick?
    >
    > For k=1 to 3
    > For i=1 to 10
    > "Aquire target"
    > If "target is valid" Then
    > For j=1 To fightercount(k)
    > If RND<0.05 And battery(k) >= 10 Then
    > FIGHTERBEAMSHOT(k)
    > battery(k)=battery(k)-10
    > EndIf
    > Next j
    > EndIf
    > Next i
    > Next k
    >
    > This is how I understand it now.

    I am unsure, based upon what was posted @ the wiki. It's nice that the
    code was simplified for all to read, but it was unclear in a few cases
    as to how it could be interpreted... this is one (there are a couple
    more, but I can't recall right now exactly which those were). I'd
    personally like to see the actual code to verify that. I agree with
    you that it makes sense the way you just wrote it, but I've also
    learned after reading some of Tim's code that what I think is the
    intuitive way to do things is not the way he writes his routines. :-)

    david_bandy@hotmail.com schrieb:
    > So can a wing actually fire 10 times in that tick (assuming it has
    > enough (100) battery)?
    >
    > If so, then theoretically a wing with high enough generator & battery
    > (enough to add 100 new charge each tick) and a battery of 100 'could'
    > fire 10 times each tick... right?

    Each tick:
    For i=1 to 3
    battery(i)=battery(i)+generator(i)*fightercount(i)/400+0.99
    Next i

    A generator power of 10 do not mean that 10 is added to the battery
    The output of a single fighter of type i in a wing is now

    generator(i)/400 + 0.99/fightercount(i)

    > Question: Is that 5% chance for a fighter to fire a chance for each
    > individual fighter in the wing? Does it loop and check each individual
    > fighter and keep a total or how exactly does this part work? i.e. If
    > you have 100 fighters in the wing, do you get 5% of them to fire each
    > of the 10 checks to fire in each tick?

    For k=1 to 3
    For i=1 to 10
    "Aquire target"
    If "target is valid" Then
    For j=1 To fightercount(k)
    If RND<0.05 And battery(k) >= 10 Then
    FIGHTERBEAMSHOT(k)
    battery(k)=battery(k)-10
    EndIf
    Next j
    EndIf
    Next i
    Next k

    This is how I understand it now.

    GFM GToeroe

    As mentioned previously, each fighter type *can* fire up to 10 times
    each tick. This is reduced by any invalid targets that are aquired.

    Each fighter type then may or may not fire depending on range and
    whether Anti-Fighter tech is active.

    THEN, if that fighter type is firing, each fighter has a 5% of firing.

    david_bandy@hotmail.com schrieb:

    > I am unsure, based upon what was posted @ the wiki. It's nice that the
    > code was simplified for all to read, but it was unclear in a few cases
    > as to how it could be interpreted... this is one (there are a couple
    > more, but I can't recall right now exactly which those were). I'd
    > personally like to see the actual code to verify that. I agree with
    > you that it makes sense the way you just wrote it, but I've also
    > learned after reading some of Tim's code that what I think is the
    > intuitive way to do things is not the way he writes his routines. :-)

    This coulo be checked if one counts the ticks of a bigger wing against a
    big PD-less ship.

    Assumed that the aquiring routine never returns the wing itself as
    target, then, as there is only one other object in the combat, the wing
    should get ten times the hostile ship as target.
    Together with the 5% chance of firing all then N*5%*10=N/2 shots are
    expected in the mean.

    Compare the number of shots reported in the vcr report with the
    inflicted damage and the needed hits for this. Then you probably will
    recognize that the number of reported hits are too small and it is to be
    assumed that indeed multiple shots per fighter per combat tick are possible.

    GFM GToeroe

    excellent... thanks for the clarification. Sorry, I missed that line
    earlier. :-(

Wiki Games Video Games