Buying a laptop computer

I have a good desktop computer (Athlon 2500+ with a gig of ram, a
DVD burner and 420 gigs of hard drive space) running Windows XP SP2
that is networked to my brother's computer and a cable modem with a
Linksys (wired) router. I have become too ill to sit up at my
computer as much as I want to.

I want to buy an inexpensive laptop computer and control my desktop
computer over our home network using either a wired or wireless
connection so that I can compute while lying in bed. The problem is
that I know very little about laptop computers.

The main things I use my computer for are reading and writing usenet
messages, looking at pictures I have downloaded and surfing the net.
I have found a freeware program that will allow me to use a laptop
as a terminal to control my desktop computer
http://www.tightvnc.com/ so I do not think I will need a very
powerful laptop computer.

What kind of laptop computer should I get? Are there any brands I
should seek out? Are there any brands I should avoid? Are there
any types of screens that I should seek out or avoid? Would it be a
good idea for me to get a used one on Ebay?

Is there a faq or web site somewhere with good information on buying
laptop computers? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is

More about buying laptop computer

    Daniel Prince wrote:
    > I have a good desktop computer (Athlon 2500+ with a gig of ram, a
    > DVD burner and 420 gigs of hard drive space) running Windows XP SP2
    > that is networked to my brother's computer and a cable modem with a
    > Linksys (wired) router. I have become too ill to sit up at my
    > computer as much as I want to.
    >
    > I want to buy an inexpensive laptop computer and control my desktop
    > computer over our home network using either a wired or wireless
    > connection so that I can compute while lying in bed. The problem is
    > that I know very little about laptop computers.
    >
    > The main things I use my computer for are reading and writing usenet
    > messages, looking at pictures I have downloaded and surfing the net.
    > I have found a freeware program that will allow me to use a laptop
    > as a terminal to control my desktop computer
    > http://www.tightvnc.com/ so I do not think I will need a very
    > powerful laptop computer.

    You are going to be horribly disappointed with VNC.
    It works well when the screen doesn't change much and you have something
    simple to do. When the screen changes a lot, as it will with web
    surfing, screen updates lag so much that you'll want to shoot yourself
    to make the frustration stop. Test it for yourself. Set up your
    brother's computer to access yours via VNC.

    I have a P400 machine I use as an mp3 player. I have a P1000 machine
    with a display on it connected via 100Mb wired ethernet and tightvnc.
    It's a minor frustration to manipulate the mp3 playlist. If I tried to
    surf the web, I'd go crazy.

    I have a similar setup using a P233 laptop
    to play mp3s remotely. It uses tightvnc over a 10Mb wired ethernet.
    TightVNC
    uses up so much horsepower that I can't even play mp3s while VNC is
    connected.

    Get a laptop with sufficient screen resolution, 1024x768 and enough
    horsepower to do your web surfing.
    mike

    > What kind of laptop computer should I get? Are there any brands I
    > should seek out? Are there any brands I should avoid? Are there
    > any types of screens that I should seek out or avoid? Would it be a
    > good idea for me to get a used one on Ebay?
    >
    > Is there a faq or web site somewhere with good information on buying
    > laptop computers? Thank you in advance for all replies.

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    you could do the same thing without a laptop

    ever consider getting a pda

    you couldn't do anything beyond moving files and editing word and excel
    documents, but theres better battery life and a few other +'s. all you need
    is a windows mobile device with built in wifi, should set you back about
    $300 depending on what you get, coupled with some software and you are gd to
    go.

    Daniel Prince wrote:

    > I have a good desktop computer (Athlon 2500+ with a gig of ram, a
    > DVD burner and 420 gigs of hard drive space) running Windows XP SP2
    > that is networked to my brother's computer and a cable modem with a
    > Linksys (wired) router. I have become too ill to sit up at my
    > computer as much as I want to.
    >
    > I want to buy an inexpensive laptop computer and control my desktop
    > computer over our home network using either a wired or wireless
    > connection so that I can compute while lying in bed. The problem is
    > that I know very little about laptop computers.
    >
    > The main things I use my computer for are reading and writing usenet
    > messages, looking at pictures I have downloaded and surfing the net.
    > I have found a freeware program that will allow me to use a laptop
    > as a terminal to control my desktop computer
    > http://www.tightvnc.com/ so I do not think I will need a very
    > powerful laptop computer.
    >
    > What kind of laptop computer should I get? Are there any brands I
    > should seek out? Are there any brands I should avoid? Are there
    > any types of screens that I should seek out or avoid? Would it be a
    > good idea for me to get a used one on Ebay?
    >
    > Is there a faq or web site somewhere with good information on buying
    > laptop computers? Thank you in advance for all replies.

    First, if your laptop can run XP then you don't need VNC--XP includes a
    remote control feature that is a "lite" version of Terminal Services and
    should do everything you need. If you have a retail copy of XP then it's
    legal to run it on a desktop machine and a laptop as long as the same
    person uses both.

    Second, it doesn't take much computer to do the things you describe. Just
    about any contemporary laptop will do this. A used Thinkpad off of ebay
    might be a very good option if you know what you're looking for.

    Third, you might want to consider a KVM extender instead of a laptop--a KVM
    extender can be had for under $200.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    In article <d3tnj20l8a@news4.newsguy.com>,
    J. Clarke <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
    >Daniel Prince wrote:
    >
    >> I have a good desktop computer (Athlon 2500+ with a gig of ram, a
    >> DVD burner and 420 gigs of hard drive space) running Windows XP SP2
    >> that is networked to my brother's computer and a cable modem with a
    >> Linksys (wired) router. I have become too ill to sit up at my
    >> computer as much as I want to.
    >>
    >> I want to buy an inexpensive laptop computer and control my desktop
    >> computer over our home network using either a wired or wireless
    >> connection so that I can compute while lying in bed. The problem is
    >> that I know very little about laptop computers.
    >>
    >> The main things I use my computer for are reading and writing usenet
    >> messages, looking at pictures I have downloaded and surfing the net.
    >> I have found a freeware program that will allow me to use a laptop
    >> as a terminal to control my desktop computer
    >> http://www.tightvnc.com/ so I do not think I will need a very
    >> powerful laptop computer.
    >>
    >> What kind of laptop computer should I get? Are there any brands I
    >> should seek out? Are there any brands I should avoid? Are there
    >> any types of screens that I should seek out or avoid? Would it be a
    >> good idea for me to get a used one on Ebay?
    >>
    >> Is there a faq or web site somewhere with good information on buying
    >> laptop computers? Thank you in advance for all replies.
    >
    >First, if your laptop can run XP then you don't need VNC--XP includes a
    >remote control feature that is a "lite" version of Terminal Services and
    >should do everything you need. If you have a retail copy of XP then it's
    >legal to run it on a desktop machine and a laptop as long as the same
    >person uses both.
    >
    >Second, it doesn't take much computer to do the things you describe. Just
    >about any contemporary laptop will do this. A used Thinkpad off of ebay
    >might be a very good option if you know what you're looking for.
    >
    >Third, you might want to consider a KVM extender instead of a laptop--a KVM
    >extender can be had for under $200.
    >
    >--
    >--John
    >to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    >(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Try your application over any remote control sysetm before you spend
    money. You might not be happy with the way it works.

    I'd look for some sort of a KVM solution (Keyboard/Video/Mouse). These
    use the PS/2 and/or USB connections and will probably give you fill
    speed. There is probably a wireless (as in wireless baby monitor) or
    WiFi KVM solution out there. other KVM works over CAT5 wire.

    A basic laptop with WiFi will let you use email and browse the web
    connected directly to youir WiFi AP. You can share files and printers
    with your desktop equipment without doing remote control.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 08:08:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

    >First, if your laptop can run XP then you don't need VNC--XP includes a
    >remote control feature that is a "lite" version of Terminal Services and
    >should do everything you need.

    Not quite true; all versions of Windows XP contain the Remote Desktop
    Client, which lets you to remotely control another XP machine,
    however, only Windows XP PRO contains the Server part of the Remote
    desktop program, so u must have XP PRO installed on the machine u want
    to control with Remote Desktop.

    >If you have a retail copy of XP then it's
    >legal to run it on a desktop machine and a laptop as long as the same
    >person uses both.

    Sorry , but unfortunately this is completely untrue.

    A standard retail copy of Windows XP is only legally licensed for use
    on one machine at a time. The 'activation' system will prevent you
    from legally installing a copy on a second machine. There are ways
    around the activation block, but then one copy wont strictly be legal
    (according to Microsoft).

    I think you might have this confused with Microsoft OFFICE, where a
    full retail copy can be legally installed on a desktop and laptop used
    by the same person.

    Paulcsl wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 08:08:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>First, if your laptop can run XP then you don't need VNC--XP includes a
    >>remote control feature that is a "lite" version of Terminal Services and
    >>should do everything you need.
    >
    > Not quite true; all versions of Windows XP contain the Remote Desktop
    > Client, which lets you to remotely control another XP machine,
    > however, only Windows XP PRO contains the Server part of the Remote
    > desktop program, so u must have XP PRO installed on the machine u want
    > to control with Remote Desktop.

    I was not aware of that limitation of XP Home. Another reason to avoid it.

    >>If you have a retail copy of XP then it's
    >>legal to run it on a desktop machine and a laptop as long as the same
    >>person uses both.
    >
    > Sorry , but unfortunately this is completely untrue.
    >
    > A standard retail copy of Windows XP is only legally licensed for use
    > on one machine at a time. The 'activation' system will prevent you
    > from legally installing a copy on a second machine. There are ways
    > around the activation block, but then one copy wont strictly be legal
    > (according to Microsoft).
    >
    > I think you might have this confused with Microsoft OFFICE, where a
    > full retail copy can be legally installed on a desktop and laptop used
    > by the same person.

    You are correct.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    You can do what you want with "Remote Desktop", which is built into XP
    Pro. In fact, if someone is there to "start it", you can do it with
    "Remote assistance", which is present even in XP Home (part of the OS,
    no extra software needed, for either Remote Desktop or Remote Assistance).

    Any current or recent (even 2 years ago) laptop can easily handle this.
    All that you need is a laptop and a wireless network connection (which
    you can get with a "PC Card" if it's not built-in).

    I buy and sell laptops on E-Bay, you can get a good deal, and you can
    also get "taken". You have to know what you are buying, and have to
    understand how to best evaluate the seller.

    If you are patient, it's possible to get brand new "budget" laptops from
    the major vendors (Toshiba, HP, Compaq) for as little as $499 even from
    Best Buy and Circuit City (note, there will be rebates involved, often
    several of them on the same purchase). We bought a Toshiba A45 for my
    son last memorial day at Circuit City for $499 (after 2 or 3 rebates
    which we did get), and it's worked out extremely well.

    Daniel Prince wrote:

    > I have a good desktop computer (Athlon 2500+ with a gig of ram, a
    > DVD burner and 420 gigs of hard drive space) running Windows XP SP2
    > that is networked to my brother's computer and a cable modem with a
    > Linksys (wired) router. I have become too ill to sit up at my
    > computer as much as I want to.
    >
    > I want to buy an inexpensive laptop computer and control my desktop
    > computer over our home network using either a wired or wireless
    > connection so that I can compute while lying in bed. The problem is
    > that I know very little about laptop computers.
    >
    > The main things I use my computer for are reading and writing usenet
    > messages, looking at pictures I have downloaded and surfing the net.
    > I have found a freeware program that will allow me to use a laptop
    > as a terminal to control my desktop computer
    > http://www.tightvnc.com/ so I do not think I will need a very
    > powerful laptop computer.
    >
    > What kind of laptop computer should I get? Are there any brands I
    > should seek out? Are there any brands I should avoid? Are there
    > any types of screens that I should seek out or avoid? Would it be a
    > good idea for me to get a used one on Ebay?
    >
    > Is there a faq or web site somewhere with good information on buying
    > laptop computers? Thank you in advance for all replies.

    Re: "If you have a retail copy of XP then it's legal to run it on a
    desktop machine and a laptop as long as the same person uses both."

    That is categorically and absolutely not true. Microsoft does permit
    that for some (not all) versions of Office, and for some other software
    (in fact, the "students & teachers" edition of Office XP can be
    installed on up to 3 machines in the same houshold, legally). But they
    do not, and have NEVER permitted it for ANY version of ANY operating system.

    Paulcsl wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 08:08:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

    >>If you have a retail copy of XP then it's
    >>legal to run it on a desktop machine and a laptop as long as the same
    >>person uses both.
    >

    > Sorry , but unfortunately this is completely untrue.
    >
    > A standard retail copy of Windows XP is only legally licensed for use
    > on one machine at a time. The 'activation' system will prevent you
    > from legally installing a copy on a second machine. There are ways
    > around the activation block, but then one copy wont strictly be legal
    > (according to Microsoft).
    >
    > I think you might have this confused with Microsoft OFFICE, where a
    > full retail copy can be legally installed on a desktop and laptop used
    > by the same person.

    No, the same is true for Windows XP *Retail* i.e. NOT OEM. You may use
    it on your portable AND desktop machines. At least, that's the way my XP
    EULA is written (bought 2001).

    Regards,
    Cian Davis

    Cian Davis wrote:

    > No, the same is true for Windows XP *Retail* i.e. NOT OEM. You may use
    > it on your portable AND desktop machines. At least, that's the way my
    > XP EULA is written (bought 2001).

    Sorry, but you're completely _WRONG_! I suggest you read your EULA again.

    Every computer must have its own, discrete licensed copy of XP.

    http://www.biznix.org/articles/eula.html

    The only exception to this is in the case of a multi-user license.

    Regards,

    James

    Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 11:57:27 GMT

    Cian Davis wrote:

    > No, the same is true for Windows XP *Retail* i.e. NOT OEM. You may use
    > it on your portable AND desktop machines. At least, that's the way my
    > XP EULA is written (bought 2001).

    Sorry, but you're completely _WRONG_! I suggest you read your EULA
    again.

    Every computer must have its own, discrete licensed copy of XP.

    http://www.biznix.org/articles/eula.html

    The only exception to this is in the case of a multi-user license.

    Hi James... Nobody it seems never hears about this, but no EULA is ever
    written in stone! If you disagree with it, all you have to do is make
    the necessary changes sign and date it and send it to their legal
    department. I forgot what the wait time is, but I believe it is 30-60
    days. And if you don't hear back or you get a letter stating they agree,
    it's all perfectly legal.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    BillW50 wrote:

    > Hi James... Nobody it seems never hears about this, but no EULA is
    > ever written in stone! If you disagree with it, all you have to do is
    > make the necessary changes sign and date it and send it to their legal
    > department. I forgot what the wait time is, but I believe it is 30-60
    > days. And if you don't hear back or you get a letter stating they
    > agree, it's all perfectly legal.

    Hi Bill. Nope, not true. The M$ EULA specifically states that if you
    disagree with any portion of it you have to stop using the software.

    Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:51:30 GMT

    BillW50 wrote:

    > Hi James... Nobody it seems never hears about this, but no EULA is
    > ever written in stone! If you disagree with it, all you have to do is
    > make the necessary changes sign and date it and send it to their legal
    > department. I forgot what the wait time is, but I believe it is 30-60
    > days. And if you don't hear back or you get a letter stating they
    > agree, it's all perfectly legal.

    Hi Bill. Nope, not true. The M$ EULA specifically states that if
    you disagree with any portion of it you have to stop using the
    software.

    Hi James... That's legalese for if you are unwilling to negotiate in
    writing. Big companies with high priced lawyers make modifications to
    the EULA all of the time. And Microsoft by law has to accept or deny
    these modifications to the EULA back in writing. If they don't, it is
    the same as they legally agree.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    No, Cian, you are wrong. There is ***NO*** Microsoft ***OPERATING
    SYSTEM*** which may be legally used on two machines. Period.

    Jclarke had it right.

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > No, Cian, you are wrong. There is ***NO*** Microsoft ***OPERATING
    > SYSTEM*** which may be legally used on two machines. Period.
    >
    > Jclarke had it right.

    Actually I had it wrong the first time around--I was thinking of the Office
    license. I believe that it was Paulcsl who had it right.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)