Sign in with
Your question

Overheating Asus laptop but can't remove CPU heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
June 28, 2011 11:11:21 AM

Hi all,

I have an Asus F3SV laptop which started rebooting unexpectedly, with excessive heat felt quite significantly on the laptop during use. I checked CPU temperatures using HWINFO32, and found CPU temps getting up to the 80's and low 90's. Nvidia GPU was at high 80's.

I also installed speedfan to check RPM data, but for some reason fan speed info is just not showing up there - all I see is the temperatures.

I opened the laptop, cleaned the fan, and tried to remove the old thermal paste from the heatsink / CPU and then apply new paste, but I was unable to remove the heatsink. I removed all the screws I could find, but the heatsink was still connected in such a way that I just couldn't get it off without feeling like I was about to rip it off the motherboard. Below is a picture of the relevant area on the motherboard. (Sorry for the image quality... nokia e71's were never really known for the quality of their cameras :sarcastic:  if anyone would find it useful to have a better picture, please let me know and I'll arrange it.)

I looked through the asus website in the hopes I would find some kind of manual explaining how to do this, but couldn't find anything relevant.

As you can see, I'm not much of a hardware expert, so any advice on how to get this laptop back to normal temperatures would be very much appreciated.

As it stands currently, the laptop reboots quite predictably when given any semi-intensive task to do, so it's pretty much unusable.

MTIA!
June 28, 2011 11:19:17 AM

Motherboard specifics:

Intel PM965 (Crestline-PM) + ICH8M
June 28, 2011 11:21:06 AM

Guess some CPU info would probably be good too... :sleep: 

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300
June 28, 2011 11:31:30 AM

if the heat sink is not clipped or screwed down, then the only thing holding it on is the old thermal paste, give it a gentle twist side to side until it frees up and remove, replace with a decent brand such as AS5 or mx2
!