Closed Solved

Build review. Input appreciated!

(Country: USA)

Hey, everyone.
It's been quite awhile since I built a computer (8 years). Now that my previous custom is on it's last leg, and ready to retire, I'm ready to build a new one. I've taken the last week to research what's out there and get acquainted with the new technology out there. This is what I'm thinking about:

Budget: 1500 to 2000

System Usage: Gaming, Photoshop, maybe Ableton Live

Overclocking: Maybe

Monitor REsolution: 1600X900, potential upgrade

SLI: Yes

The Setup:

Case: Cooler Master HAF X

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe

CPU: i7 2600k

Graphics: MSI GTX 560ti Twin Frozr II x 2 for SLI

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint

Heatsink: Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 Scythe "Slipstreams" running with push/pull config (the 1200 RPM ones)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X series

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W

The only thing I haven't researched is sound cards. Suggests for this would be awesome. Thanks.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build review input appreciated
  1. Best answer
    Everything in that build looks decent. That heat sink selection tells me you'll be going for overclocks.

I know back when you built your last PC, we had to consider using sound cards so our gaming performance wouldn't suffer. These days it's different. Some people can be snobby about their sound, but I run 7.1 surround through the sound controller right on my motherboard and I think it's great. Music playback is great. I wouldn't worry about the sound card so much as these days the on-board sound controllers are pretty high-quality and the CPUs have so much juice, the effect of on-board sound processing on anything else is negligible. I would say consider a sound card if you're not satisfied with the on-board option.

Additionally, a data storage configuration including an SSD as an OS/boot drive, a fast HDD as an app drive and a fast HDD as a data drive is a low-cost high-performance configuration. For an SSD drive, I would suggest something with 60GB or more because, based on my own experience by which I started with a 40GB OS drive, you'll burn through about 40GB in no time considering Windows 7, virtual memory and drivers/updates running on this drive.

You should also consider getting a 570 or 580 now and going SLI in the future. Two better cards later is better than two lesser cards later. Now if you did go for one 580, you'd have to upgrade your power to a corsair 950W or better PSU to prepare for the next one.

Other than those suggestions, everything looks great with the setup.

Even if you didn't change anything with it, it will be a great expandable setup.
  2. Thanks for the feedback, Ubercake. I'll definitely consider your suggests for my setup, especially switching graphics cards to a 570 (It was between the 560 ti or the 570, anyway.)
  3. Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
  4. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product