Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

i5 2500k build (opinions, please)

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Corsair
  • Intel i5
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
March 28, 2011 1:50:13 AM

Hey all, I am building a new PC around April for gaming / youtube / torrenting / schoolwork (low-level CS5) and here's what i'm thinking;

Intel i5 2500k (@5GHz)
Asus P8P67 EVO B3
Corsair 8GB Vengeance 1600MHz CL8
Corsair 650D
Corsair HX850
Asus GTX560 DirectCU-II (@1GHz core) - Future SLI
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (RAID-1)
Scythe Kaze Server Fan Controller
XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 (w/ dual UV-BLUE gelid wings and CLEAR/UV-BLUE coolant)


I'd love to hear what you guys think of the build and what my stable O/C would be.

Thanks,
Intel1502 :p 

PS; I game at 1920x1080

More about : 2500k build opinions

March 28, 2011 6:54:23 AM

With water cooling I think it should be fine. What about the Corsair H50 or H70?
m
0
l
March 28, 2011 8:31:20 AM

Martin9630 said:
With water cooling I think it should be fine. What about the Corsair H50 or H70?


H50/H70? *dryheave* :cry: 
OMG... Why would I possibly rather a boring *fake* watercooler that performs as well as a high-end air cooler when for the same price I could get a dual radiator kit that comes with a nice dual 5 1/4" brushed aluminum res/pump, UV electric blue lighting, an extremely good block, etc...
m
0
l
Related resources
March 28, 2011 8:49:27 AM

Good build so far...I kinda have the same stuff except i have the MSI P67A GD65 board, Lian-li case and Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink..I also have the Gelid wings on my heatsink...Everything looks good, if i was going watercooling i would of picked the same case myself...Maybe next time i'll go watercooling.
m
0
l
March 28, 2011 9:02:10 AM

Bigmac80 said:
Good build so far...I kinda have the same stuff except i have the MSI P67A GD65 board, Lian-li case and Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink..I also have the Gelid wings on my heatsink...Everything looks good, if i was going watercooling i would of picked the same case myself...Maybe next time i'll go watercooling.


Thanks for the positive review... :D 
I've had sleepless nights thinking I should have gotten a dodgey case and a 2600k but I understand that the 2600k is just e-peen as my current CPU (Q9400 @ 2.66GHz) has never been brought to it's knees in day-to-day use - only ever on Prime95 (which is made to bring CPU to 100%)...
m
0
l
March 28, 2011 10:05:55 AM

1.5 volt RAM is good. Overclock to 4.8 or 5 Ghz!!! Mine is set about 1.5V and it runs at 5Ghz/70degreesC max temp on air.......
m
0
l
March 28, 2011 3:53:05 PM

RickyT23 said:
1.5 volt RAM is good. Overclock to 4.8 or 5 Ghz!!! Mine is set about 1.5V and it runs at 5Ghz/70degreesC max temp on air.......


Yeah, it's not that easy. You got one of the maybe 5% that can hit 5ghz. About 10% can hit 4.8ghz. It's called luck.
m
0
l
March 28, 2011 4:01:44 PM

I'd save some $$ and get a XFX 750 Black which has more than enough watts for twin 560's ....tho an XFX Black Edition 850 would serve if ya want the extra cushion. The Black's are a performance / quality equal to the Corsaie HX per jonnyguru and substantially cheaper.

The SB CPU's perform extraordinarilly well with the stock cooler. Unless I see some new articles, I can't see investinng in anything bettrr than an air cooler.

As for the 1.5 versus 1.65 RAM, it makes no difference. See the myths dispelled near the bottom here:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...


m
0
l
!