Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard/CPU Power Question

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
June 28, 2011 1:11:29 PM

I just took out my old cooler and installed a new Noctua NH-D14.

My Specs:

EVGA X58 SLI LE
Core i7 920
GTX 570 SC
6 GB Corsair Dominator (fins off 1 stick)
Noctua NH-D14

Ok. I read the sticky posted, but I have another question. When I turn on the computer I get the F3/F6 loop and then it goes to 6B. All fans are running and everything has power to my knowledge.

I have a 4pin PSU connector and the EVGA X58 SLI LE has an 8pin connector. I have the 4pin connected to the left side of the 8pin right now. I just read it should be to the 4pin closest to the CPU. I am going to move it once I get home.

I don't have computer access at home, so I wanted to know if this might fix it. Could it be that simple? My monitor flashes back and forth from analog to digital and then just starts blinking as well. I'm guessing that is just due to my computer not posting.

The computer worked flawlessly before with the old cooler and I plugged everything back to where it should be. I also wanted to know if this could be something more serious.

Thanks for your help.

More about : motherboard cpu power question

a c 913 à CPUs
June 28, 2011 2:25:39 PM

If everything is like it was before! I would look at the cooler installation again, make sure that it is properly seated, that the thermal paste is correctly applied and that the fan is correctly plugged in.
m
l
June 28, 2011 2:30:51 PM

Do you think that would cause the computer not to post and get those errors? I didn't even have to pull out the CPU. There was only a small amount of paste on it and I used alcohol and a cloth to wipe it clean and reapply. The new cooler is on perfect. It fits exactly how it is stated. I did have to take the fins off 1 of my Dominator sticks but I knew that I would going in since it states it on the Noctua compatibility sight.

Right now I have the 4 pin connector in on the left side of the 8 pin connector which is further away from the CPU. I am really hoping that once I move it over that would fix the problem. I read through the manual and there is no information on the F3/F6 loop error.
m
l
a c 913 à CPUs
June 28, 2011 2:39:33 PM

You could always go to EVGA on the error, their support is supposedly the best in the business. I really don't know if moving the plug is going to fix the error but surely it is best to go with what the manufacturer recommends!
Maybe the ram got damaged when removing the fins have you tried booting with out that stick? (a shot in the dark)
m
l
June 28, 2011 2:41:47 PM

I think I am going to try the switch with the 4 pin to the side closest to the CPU and pray. If it doesn't work I will try the memory 1 stick at a time. I doubt it's the memory as it was perfectly fine about 20 minutes before and I never took it out but who knows. I guess it's worth a shot.

If that fails I don't know what the next step is but it will probably involve a bonfire and a new computer!
m
l
a c 913 à CPUs
June 28, 2011 2:45:39 PM

It is still a good setup just a little bit frustrating that things don't go as planned! What PSU are you using anyway?
m
l
June 28, 2011 2:53:13 PM

The PSU is an Azza 1000w. It's actually pretty solid. I have had it for a little over 2 years now. I am going to get a Corsair 850HX next but this one is still going strong and still passes all tests for me!
m
l
a c 913 à CPUs
June 28, 2011 3:03:58 PM

It is surprising that a PSU that size does not have 4+4 connector or a separate 8pin EPS connector!
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:09:02 PM

I am going to check my boxes. Maybe I have a 4 pin to 8 pin molar somewhere that I can use. :) 
m
l
June 28, 2011 7:54:33 PM

Ok. So I think I found the problem.

It seems DIMM Slot #3 is fried. I have 2 2GB sticks in there now. In slots #1 and #5. If I put anything into slot #3 I get a F3,F6 error. I guess there is nothing I can do aside from getting a new motherboard right?

Also, since it's tri-channel memory what do I lose by running just 2 DIMMs? Windows 7 is showing 4GB so that's good.
m
l
June 29, 2011 5:24:25 PM

Awesome. I can't figure out what happened in between me installing the new CPU cooler and booting up. I didn't even take out the memory since I needed it in to make sure the cooler would fit correctly. Somehow DIMM Slot #3 just stopped functioning. I was grounded and it was on cardboard... hmm.
m
l
!