Recommended Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I'm starting to spec out a new PC build and looking for some help. I've decided to go with an Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge processor. I'm still looking for what motherboard I want to get. I do know I want a board that has 4 memory slots. I'm looking to build a PC for purposes of photo/video editing and some gaming (plus every day usage). I want to keep the cost at a minimum, but would like to get memory that will provide good performance especially when editing video or multi-tasking.

What do you recommend for speed? Would DDR3 1600 be the best choice. What about manufacture? There are many makers out there, what are the most dependable ones? I know Corsair and Crucial were good, but not sure if that still holds true today. Thanks for any suggestions, much appreciated.

Solution
8GB modules do leave more room for upgrading, but they are about two to four times more expenisve than two 4GB modules. Unless you plan on using 32GB of RAM in this machine, I suggest you get a 2x4GB kit. If 8GB isn't enough for you, then sure, go for the 2x8GB, but 8GB is more than enough for even a gaming rig and photo editing unless you want to have a game running while photo editing software is running at the same time as some other software. 16GB is a lot of memory.

Besides that, if you think you will replace your rig before three or four years from now, then it's pointless to have it ready to upgrade the memory because you shouldn't need 32GB for some time. If you really want 6GB now and you plan on replacing the computer within...
G.Skill, Corsair, and Crucial are the more popular brands. They are all known for great quality and life time warranties. Others are often good or at least decent, but a much greater risk for the slightly lower prices.

The Crucial kit recommended by sosofm should have no problems at all, but it is slightly more expensive than other kits from Corsair and G.Skill that have the same specifications. Crucial is often slightly more expensive.

Either way, it's only a few dollars differences so no big deal at all.

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks for the recommendation.

How much memory should I start with? I'll have 4 slots, but was thinking of getting 2 x 8GB sticks. Do you think that's too much? I do plan on some video editing and programming so I figure 16 GB of memory would be plenty.

8GB modules do leave more room for upgrading, but they are about two to four times more expenisve than two 4GB modules. Unless you plan on using 32GB of RAM in this machine, I suggest you get a 2x4GB kit. If 8GB isn't enough for you, then sure, go for the 2x8GB, but 8GB is more than enough for even a gaming rig and photo editing unless you want to have a game running while photo editing software is running at the same time as some other software. 16GB is a lot of memory.

Besides that, if you think you will replace your rig before three or four years from now, then it's pointless to have it ready to upgrade the memory because you shouldn't need 32GB for some time. If you really want 6GB now and you plan on replacing the computer within four years, I think that a 2x4GB or a 4x4GB setup will be enough. If necessary, you will probably be able to upgrade the 2x4GB kit with another 2x8GB kit later on when they have more reasonable prices too, making it unnecessary to pay the currently exorbitant prices they charge for 8GB modules.

Solution

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Appreciate the feedback blazorthon. You bring up a good point. 8GB is a lot and I honestly couldn't imagine needing more then 16 so if I need to upgrade, I could just buy 2 more 4GB. There is a big markup on the 8GB sticks. I'm sure after I price out my whole rig, I would have come down on the memory anyway. Already planning on dropping down from the i7 2600 to the i5 2500. Not a big increase in performance for an extra $100.

It's a fairly decent performance increase for the money if you need it. For highly threaded work that needs it, it can be around a 30% performance improvement over the i5s, and the price is fairly similar, about 30% more.

Problem is if you don't make great use of highly threaded work, well then it's not worth it. Glad to help.

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. Once I price out my full set-up, I'll have a better idea if I can afford to go with the i7. I think I'm going to pull back on my memory and motherboard so I might be able to afford the i7.

Don't pull back further than 2x4GB on the memory and be careful not to get a crap motherboard. Go for one that has many reviews and the average review is at least 4 eggs on Newegg, if that's where you buy it from. A crap motherboard is like a crap PSU. It can go very badly if it fails, possibly taking other components with it.

blackbke

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
If I may add a few things

- Get low profile memory, like Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600Mhz. Nothing wrong with big heat spreaders, but you don't actually need them and if you get a big-ass air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 you may run into trouble.

- For video editing, get 16 GB ram. Sure, 8 GB will do, but 16 GB will be better. In-memory video rendering eats ram like kids eat cookies. The more you have, the smoother you'll be able to work. That being said, any other application or game will hardly use anything above 6 GB, so you better be serious about your video editing or 16 GB will be useless :)

rancineb

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
I would never go lower then 8MB. Why would you when it's less then $50 to get. The 2 x 8GB is the big question since that's a bit more expensive.

As for motherboard, I'm looking at ASRock which are rated pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.