Sign in with
Your question

Running a NVIDIA Graphics Card on an AMD 780g motherboard?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2011 6:25:18 PM

Hello Community,

I have recently purchased an Asus CG Essentio Series desktop. It came bundled with a low end ATI Radeon graphics card. I bought the machine for video editing purposes, in hoping of cutting down on half the cost it would run me for a Mac setup. I have Premiere CS5 among other CS5 software, however, Premiere only supports a few ATI cards (obviously not my own) and several NVIDIA cards.

I apologize for this question in advance but I'm fairly new to PC's since I have been a MAC user for eons.

Is it possible to run an NVIDIA graphics card with the AMD 780g motherboard and chipset? The compatibility of cards that Adobe's Premiere CS5 advertises is pretty slim, mostly supporting the NVIDIA Quadro series.

I have heard around other forums that it would work but problems arise in the SLI technology since it won't be compatible with crossfire and such.
I'm very confused and am looking for some clarification.

I'm running windows 7 home 64-bit.

Thank you

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 23, 2011 8:05:44 PM

Yep, it will work fine. SLI and Crossfire are multicard technologies for gaming, so do not worry about losing them.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 23, 2011 8:08:08 PM

One thing to watch out for though: if you get a mid or high end Quadro, check your PSU's 12V Current (A) rating to make sure it can handle your new card.
Related resources
January 23, 2011 9:59:25 PM

Thank you for the reply! I'm looking at the geForce GTX 470 as an upgrade.

Yeah the power supply on the asus essentio is a low end 300w. I'll need at least a 500w, 800w to be on the safe side, to run any of these mid or high end cards.
January 23, 2011 10:40:51 PM

if you get a quality PSU like corsair, a 650W is all you need for a single card solution
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 23, 2011 11:35:16 PM

Yep, quality over quantity. What is the rest of your system?
!