Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Buying an inexpensive laptop computer

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 8:04:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have a good desktop computer (Athlon 2500+ with a gig of ram, a
DVD burner and 420 gigs of hard drive space) running Windows XP SP2
that is networked to my brother's computer and a cable modem with a
Linksys (wired) router. I have become too ill to sit up at my
computer as much as I want to.

I want to buy an inexpensive laptop computer and control my desktop
computer over our home network using either a wired or wireless
connection so that I can compute while lying in bed. The problem is
that I know very little about laptop computers.

The main things I use my computer for are reading and writing usenet
messages, looking at pictures I have downloaded and surfing the net.
I have found a freeware program that will allow me to use a laptop
as a terminal to control my desktop computer
http://www.tightvnc.com/ so I do not think I will need a very
powerful laptop computer.

What kind of laptop computer should I get? Are there any brands I
should seek out? Are there any brands I should avoid? Are there
any types of screens that I should seek out or avoid? Would it be a
good idea for me to get a used one on Ebay?

Is there a faq or web site somewhere with good information on buying
laptop computers? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
amounts of BS very, very rapidly.

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 6:41:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Daniel Prince" <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:jkg461duenn2f7v5g5c14pc5l72r976bq8@4ax.com...
>I have a good desktop computer (Athlon 2500+ with a gig of ram, a
> DVD burner and 420 gigs of hard drive space) running Windows XP SP2
> that is networked to my brother's computer and a cable modem with a
> Linksys (wired) router. I have become too ill to sit up at my
> computer as much as I want to.
>
> I want to buy an inexpensive laptop computer and control my desktop
> computer over our home network using either a wired or wireless
> connection so that I can compute while lying in bed. The problem is
> that I know very little about laptop computers.
>
> The main things I use my computer for are reading and writing usenet
> messages, looking at pictures I have downloaded and surfing the net.
> I have found a freeware program that will allow me to use a laptop
> as a terminal to control my desktop computer
> http://www.tightvnc.com/ so I do not think I will need a very
> powerful laptop computer.
>
> What kind of laptop computer should I get? Are there any brands I
> should seek out? Are there any brands I should avoid? Are there
> any types of screens that I should seek out or avoid? Would it be a
> good idea for me to get a used one on Ebay?
>
> Is there a faq or web site somewhere with good information on buying
> laptop computers? Thank you in advance for all replies.
> --
> I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
> they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
> make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
> amounts of BS very, very rapidly.

Inexpensive laptops are often a false economy - they break down easily.
Also, I don't see how, exactly, you can control you other computer, except
to access the hardrive. Why don't you get a bluetooth keyboard and a nice
big digital screen so you can use the computer from a distance?

Duncan.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 6:41:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <d3tp2g$srj$1@news.ox.ac.uk>,
Duncan J Murray <duncan.murray@remove.this.bit.medical-school.and.this.bit.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:
>"Daniel Prince" <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:jkg461duenn2f7v5g5c14pc5l72r976bq8@4ax.com...
>>I have a good desktop computer (Athlon 2500+ with a gig of ram, a
>> DVD burner and 420 gigs of hard drive space) running Windows XP SP2
>> that is networked to my brother's computer and a cable modem with a
>> Linksys (wired) router. I have become too ill to sit up at my
>> computer as much as I want to.
>>
>> I want to buy an inexpensive laptop computer and control my desktop
>> computer over our home network using either a wired or wireless
>> connection so that I can compute while lying in bed. The problem is
>> that I know very little about laptop computers.
>>
>> The main things I use my computer for are reading and writing usenet
>> messages, looking at pictures I have downloaded and surfing the net.
>> I have found a freeware program that will allow me to use a laptop
>> as a terminal to control my desktop computer
>> http://www.tightvnc.com/ so I do not think I will need a very
>> powerful laptop computer.
>>
>> What kind of laptop computer should I get? Are there any brands I
>> should seek out? Are there any brands I should avoid? Are there
>> any types of screens that I should seek out or avoid? Would it be a
>> good idea for me to get a used one on Ebay?
>>
>> Is there a faq or web site somewhere with good information on buying
>> laptop computers? Thank you in advance for all replies.
>> --
>> I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
>> they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
>> make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
>> amounts of BS very, very rapidly.
>
>Inexpensive laptops are often a false economy - they break down easily.
>Also, I don't see how, exactly, you can control you other computer, except
>to access the hardrive. Why don't you get a bluetooth keyboard and a nice
>big digital screen so you can use the computer from a distance?
>
>Duncan.
>
>

Within the room there are several wireless solutions. Microsoft makes
one. As for cheapo, I agree, but the OP did say he's going to use it
in bed.

You need some sort of lap table to use a laptop in bed on a regular
basis, IMO. It gets hot (which could cause a crash) and you need a
place for the mouse.
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 6:41:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Duncan J Murray wrote:

> "Daniel Prince" <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:jkg461duenn2f7v5g5c14pc5l72r976bq8@4ax.com...
>>I have a good desktop computer (Athlon 2500+ with a gig of ram, a
>> DVD burner and 420 gigs of hard drive space) running Windows XP SP2
>> that is networked to my brother's computer and a cable modem with a
>> Linksys (wired) router. I have become too ill to sit up at my
>> computer as much as I want to.
>>
>> I want to buy an inexpensive laptop computer and control my desktop
>> computer over our home network using either a wired or wireless
>> connection so that I can compute while lying in bed. The problem is
>> that I know very little about laptop computers.
>>
>> The main things I use my computer for are reading and writing usenet
>> messages, looking at pictures I have downloaded and surfing the net.
>> I have found a freeware program that will allow me to use a laptop
>> as a terminal to control my desktop computer
>> http://www.tightvnc.com/ so I do not think I will need a very
>> powerful laptop computer.
>>
>> What kind of laptop computer should I get? Are there any brands I
>> should seek out? Are there any brands I should avoid? Are there
>> any types of screens that I should seek out or avoid? Would it be a
>> good idea for me to get a used one on Ebay?
>>
>> Is there a faq or web site somewhere with good information on buying
>> laptop computers? Thank you in advance for all replies.
>> --
>> I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
>> they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
>> make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
>> amounts of BS very, very rapidly.
>
> Inexpensive laptops are often a false economy - they break down easily.
> Also, I don't see how, exactly, you can control you other computer, except
> to access the hardrive.

He said he wanted to use VNC. Check it out. Also go to the Microsoft site
and check out Terminal Services. And remote control was the original
purpose for which the X system that most Unix variants use was
developed--any Unix machine can be set up for remote operation.

> Why don't you get a bluetooth keyboard and a nice
> big digital screen so you can use the computer from a distance?
>
> Duncan.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 6:41:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>Within the room there are several wireless solutions. Microsoft makes
>one.

My computer and bed are in different rooms. They are about 35 feet
apart.
--
I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
amounts of BS very, very rapidly.

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 6:41:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>You need some sort of lap table to use a laptop in bed on a regular
>basis, IMO. It gets hot (which could cause a crash) and you need a
>place for the mouse.

Don't laptops have a built in pointing device? On my desktop
machine, I use a trackball with my left hand.
--
I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
amounts of BS very, very rapidly.

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 9:43:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 3tr3a0p9q@news4.newsguy.com...
> Duncan J Murray wrote:
>
>> "Daniel Prince" <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:jkg461duenn2f7v5g5c14pc5l72r976bq8@4ax.com...
>>>I have a good desktop computer (Athlon 2500+ with a gig of ram, a
>>> DVD burner and 420 gigs of hard drive space) running Windows XP SP2
>>> that is networked to my brother's computer and a cable modem with a
>>> Linksys (wired) router. I have become too ill to sit up at my
>>> computer as much as I want to.
>>>
>>> I want to buy an inexpensive laptop computer and control my desktop
>>> computer over our home network using either a wired or wireless
>>> connection so that I can compute while lying in bed. The problem is
>>> that I know very little about laptop computers.
>>>
>>> The main things I use my computer for are reading and writing usenet
>>> messages, looking at pictures I have downloaded and surfing the net.
>>> I have found a freeware program that will allow me to use a laptop
>>> as a terminal to control my desktop computer
>>> http://www.tightvnc.com/ so I do not think I will need a very
>>> powerful laptop computer.
>>>
>>> What kind of laptop computer should I get? Are there any brands I
>>> should seek out? Are there any brands I should avoid? Are there
>>> any types of screens that I should seek out or avoid? Would it be a
>>> good idea for me to get a used one on Ebay?
>>>
>>> Is there a faq or web site somewhere with good information on buying
>>> laptop computers? Thank you in advance for all replies.
>>> --
>>> I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
>>> they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
>>> make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
>>> amounts of BS very, very rapidly.
>>
>> Inexpensive laptops are often a false economy - they break down easily.
>> Also, I don't see how, exactly, you can control you other computer,
>> except
>> to access the hardrive.
>
> He said he wanted to use VNC. Check it out. Also go to the Microsoft
> site
> and check out Terminal Services. And remote control was the original
> purpose for which the X system that most Unix variants use was
> developed--any Unix machine can be set up for remote operation.

Ah, whoops, o.k., my fault. Though I still think it seems more sensible to
have a wireless keyboard, mouse - surely? But, since vnc seems to only
require a terminal, I'd recommend getting an old, refurbished thinkpad (like
a T23), which have excellent keyboards and durability. Also, you might want
to make sure you have a laptop with the fan port on the side, rather than
the bottom.

Duncan.
April 17, 2005 10:37:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I control my pc with my laptop at night when I just want to stay in bed.
(I'm lazy) If you use Windows XP Professional is contains the utility to do
it without downloading third-party software. It's called remote desktop
connection and is in the accesories menu.

I don't know your defination of cheap but PCWorld fo fairly decent laptops
for <600 which usually contain a sempron processor which is plenty powerful
for your needs.

Dan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2005 11:44:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <m4e5619rfhl6jilgflv4vjqvjrv9281399@4ax.com>,
Daniel Prince <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
>adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
>
>>You need some sort of lap table to use a laptop in bed on a regular
>>basis, IMO. It gets hot (which could cause a crash) and you need a
>>place for the mouse.
>
>Don't laptops have a built in pointing device? On my desktop
>machine, I use a trackball with my left hand.
>--
>I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
>they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
>make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
>amounts of BS very, very rapidly.
>
>----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----


Yes laptops have a touchpad or ereaser head mouse but I can;t use them
for fine work or for long periods. I carry a tiny mouse in the laptop
bag.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2005 6:22:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

My current setup is a Thinkpad X22 running XP and using Remote Desktop
to log into my desktop computer. I'm using a wired connection at work
and a wireless connecetion at the house. Obviously the wired connection
is much faster but speed doesn't seem to be a huge issue here.

Any laptop that can run XP would be sufficient for this. The X22 is
only an 800mhz machine with 256mb of RAM. With wireless routers as
cheap as they are these days, you might as well go with an 802.11g
model and get a wireless card for your laptop. I've seen decent brand
new Dells for $599 with plenty of resources for XP. Ebay isn't a bad
idea either since I purchased my IBM there. I second the idea of the
lap table if you intend on using this laptop for long periods of time
as the bottoms of the laptops become rather warm.

Good luck
Q
April 19, 2005 9:48:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>My current setup is a Thinkpad X22 running XP and using Remote Desktop
>to log into my desktop computer.

I'm curious as to why you are doing this?

Why not just use a wireless keyboard and mouse?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 20, 2005 11:38:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

The reason I'm doing this is because I want to make changes to
different computers or start them on certain tasks without actually
going to different parts of the house or my office. I broke my leg in 7
places in August and I'm just now getting to the point where I can get
around easier. Losing your mobility makes you extremely willing to
tele-compute sometimes.

I recently tried out that TightVNC program and it works great. I can
now log into my Win 2000 box in the house too. Thanks for the
suggestion Daniel.

>My current setup is a Thinkpad X22 running XP and using Remote Desktop
>to log into my desktop computer.
I'm

curious as to why you are doing this?

Why not just use a wireless keyboard and mouse?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2005 12:31:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

qp@iname.com wrote:
> I second the idea of the
> lap table if you intend on using this laptop for long periods of time
> as the bottoms of the laptops become rather warm.

Not to mention the fact that new studies have shown laptop users who
place their laptops on their lap (even near the knees) for 30 min/day
over 5-10 yrs can become sterile. Since laptops have been mainstream
for at least that long, there seems to be more and more tests confirming
this. Sterility can be caused by a rather small increase in temperature
in your scrotum -- something like 5 degrees F (don't quote me on that
one) -- I read it in a magazine once =)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2005 3:59:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"qp@iname.com" <qp@iname.com> wrote:

>I second the idea of the
>lap table if you intend on using this laptop for long periods of time
>as the bottoms of the laptops become rather warm.


Do you think this one would be ok?
http://www.wdrake.com/product_detail.aspx?affid=4&item_...

It measures 17 x 13 x 5". Do you think that is big enough for the
IBM ThinkPad T22 2647 PC Notebook Laptop I just bought on ebay?
Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
I used to think that most MDs were incompetent morons. I was wrong,
they are actually very intelligent and good at what they do which is
make lots of money and get lots of prestige by shoveling enormous
amounts of BS very, very rapidly.


----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
!