zenai

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Okay so here's the whole deal, my dad has an office that is about 600 feet from his house and he needed internet out there they live way outside of town so the only options for internet are satellite or wireless and because satellite has a bandwidth limit he went with wireless from Internet America now he has had wireless from Internet America at the house for a few years now with zero downtime the internet has always worked but for his office he needed to get a new router in order to hook up an antenna on the front of his house to shoot a signal to a reciever at the office now I figured this would be pretty simple but its proven to be a massive pain in the ass. Now the current issue is that I've installed the new router (d-link dir-655) but now the connection is unstable sometimes its up sometimes its down and really with no rhyme or reason to it and this is with or without the router like now even if I connect the modem directly to the PC it is down sometimes even if I reset the modem and restart the computer its still down.
Can someone please give me some possibilities of what I may have screwed up? I've tried doing everything I could search so now I'm trying to get some help from you guys as a last resort. Another couple of things that aren't as imminent of problems are the wifi in the house doesn't work properly and will not load a page on 2 different wireless devices a phone and a laptop at most times however sometimes it will work fine and the other issue is that the antenna that is hooked up and mounted to the front of his house pointed at his office doesn't seem to be working but the only way I could test it was to stand in front of it and see if my bars on my laptop went up. Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
Call Internet America.

Have them release the cached MAC address. Make sure your router is connected when they do this. The router will pick up and your internet should start working.

zenai

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008

I'm sorry I know grammar is bad but I just tried to put in as much information as I could.

Cliff notes version for the main issue would be - needed to install new router. installed new router. now internet is unstable with or without router.

General info that might help solving the problem -
ISP : Internet America.
Type of internet : Wireless
Router : D-link DIR-655

zenai

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008

Thank you so much I will try this next weekend when I go out there again.