Upgrade to motherboard with SATA 3 or get PCI addon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay-T

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hi to all,

I currently am using an IP35-Pro board made by Abit but I really want to get a fast SSD but the IP35-Pro only supports SATA 2, not SATA 3 like the faster SSDs require. Should I get a pci card with SATA 3 or upgrade the board and CPU and RAM?

Also, anyone here running on Windows XP 64 bit with an SSD? It doesn't have TRIM like Windows 7 does but is that a problem?

Thanks

Solution
I switched to a sata III board, and didn't notice much difference. The new board loads windows in maybe 5 seconds less than the sata II board. The older board actually had faster boot speed overall due to the bios settings. You won't find a sata III board with any core2 duo cpus, so keep what you have and wait for a cpu/board/ram upgrade.
I switched to a sata III board, and didn't notice much difference. The new board loads windows in maybe 5 seconds less than the sata II board. The older board actually had faster boot speed overall due to the bios settings. You won't find a sata III board with any core2 duo cpus, so keep what you have and wait for a cpu/board/ram upgrade.

Solution

Jay-T

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Thanks for your response. I'll take your advice and just get the SSD SATA 3 to go with my SATA 2 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.