Sign in with
Your question

Possible Compatability Issue - GPU Burnt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2011 8:40:11 PM

The parts I'm concerned with are the following

GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 Motherboard
GIGABYTE GV-N450-1GI GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi)
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous

I purchased and set up this PC from NewEgg, it ran fine during the day, and before I went to bed I let Windows update run. The PC worked fine, nothing seemed odd.

This morning when I returned, the PC was off, presumably from Windows Update just auto-shutting down. No problem. But then when I went to turn it on, I saw a spark / light from the case, and sure enough the GPU had burn marks where the Power Source goes.

NewEgg is replacing the part, but my question now is was it my fault, or could this card have been defective. The PSU has a 6 pin PCI-E connector, I'm assuming I'm supposed to use that rather than the splitter that comes with the GPU itself (2x LP4 to 6 Pin)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as a repeat of this won't grant a replacement from NewEgg (says the sales rep). Or even which connector to use.
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 9:26:25 PM

Using the adapter shouldn't cause your problem. The card might have just been bad. As long as the plugs were all seated properly, and as long as the 4 pin connectors were both connected to actual power connectors from the PSU and not something like "fan only" connections, you should be just fine.
a c 1312 U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 9:27:07 PM

If the 6pin (correct) connector was in firmly then it is not your fault! Did both sides burn PSU and GPU? Rosewill PSU's do not have the best of reputation.
Related resources
January 23, 2011 9:31:48 PM

mavroxur said:
Using the adapter shouldn't cause your problem. The card might have just been bad. As long as the plugs were all seated properly, and as long as the 4 pin connectors were both connected to actual power connectors from the PSU and not something like "fan only" connections, you should be just fine.

I was using the PSU's 6 pin connector straight into the GPU's 6 pin. The adapter (I assumed) was optional for a PSU that did not have the 6 pin included.

rolli59 said:
If the 6pin (correct) connector was in firmly then it is not your fault! Did both sides burn PSU and GPU? Rosewill PSU's do not have the best of reputation.

The PSU end did not burn as far as the eye can tell, there is no visible damage to the coord. I'm hoping it was just a faulty GPU, as it happens (not sure how often). Other than that, everything looks compatible?

Everything was firmly and properly connected.

Also as an aside, the GPU itself seems bent / distorted from it's own weight. A few other reviews I have read also claimed this same issue. Could this have caused anything?

Thank you mavro, rolli, and thank you in advanced for any more help.
a c 1312 U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 9:37:42 PM

Then you should be good to go! Probably a bad soldering on the GPU power connection.
!