CPU temps in BIOS different from those on CPUID and SpeedFan

suttoni

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello! Still been working on temps. They still seem a little high so before I overclock I'm gonna have to possibly reapply thermal paste.

On to the question: While inside the BIOS my CPU temp reads at about 43C. Using CPUID and SpeedFan, however, the temps read on average 34-36C. Is this normal? I mean, both programs have practically the exact same readings whereas the BIOS temp is higher. The CPU I have is an Intel Core i5 2500K using a Noctua NH-U9B Se2 HSF with ambient temperatures being around 74F. The case I have has four fans as well, so there is a lot of airflow throughout the case.

Thank y'all for your help!

Solution
The temps in the BIOS will always be higher because the CPU cannot go into low-power idle mode until it fully boots into Windows. The CPU is running at full speed, so temps will gradually increase until a certain point and then they will stabilize. 60-65ºC is a fairly common upper temp when in the BIOS using the stock cooler. After-market coolers will be better, but the temps will still be higher than normal in the BIOS.

In other words, your system is working normally.
The temps in the BIOS will always be higher because the CPU cannot go into low-power idle mode until it fully boots into Windows. The CPU is running at full speed, so temps will gradually increase until a certain point and then they will stabilize. 60-65ºC is a fairly common upper temp when in the BIOS using the stock cooler. After-market coolers will be better, but the temps will still be higher than normal in the BIOS.

In other words, your system is working normally.

Solution