Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can I play BlackOps & Modern Warfare type games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2011 9:37:24 PM

Before I spend money on any new PC games I need to know if my graphics card is compatible. I would like to play PC games like BlackOps and Modern Warfare type shooter games, as well as favorites like Crysis, and FarCry; does anyone know if my Sapphire Radeon 4670 HD 1GB DDR3 is powerful enough to run and play these games smoothly?
Is it "easier" on a computers system to play these games: from an online network connection, from a desktop download, or from the game disc? I want to use the best route, I want the games to play as smooth as possible, given my current operating system.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: My GPU is new. I bought it in December 2010

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I want to use this graphics card for PC games, streaming movies & live TV broadcasts, as well as general web browsing.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: My GPU is a Sapphire Radeon 4670 HD 1GB DDR3 and my PSU is the original factory installed Dell 305 watt PSU.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:My PC is a Dell Optiplex GX620 mini tower. Here is a direct link to my computers specs: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx620/e...

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon.com is awesome, but I shop for the lowest price & sale items too, so I shop around.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I don't have a parts or brands preference.

OVERCLOCKING: I am a PC noob, but I would overclock my card if it would provide a solution to a problem.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: My current resolution is 1024x768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would welcome any suggestions or stories you wish to share. Thank you.
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 10:05:37 PM

Your computer is roughly 5 years old. Your graphics card was midrange (not top end) two years ago. This system will not play NEW games well. This is harsh, but it is the truth. However, you can probably play all the games you listed at low to medium settings somewhat smoothly with only 1024x768 resolution. The HD 4670 is probably the best graphics card your cpu can handle.

If you're interested, you can look into overclocking the graphics, but I expect your CPU will be limiting. You might be able to do limited CPU overclocking, but you will be severely limited by Dell locking bios settings in your motherboard.

There is only one reasonable upgrade--more DDR2 RAM. If you have a friend with a new computer, you might be able to get his old DDR2 RAM for free. Other than RAM, you would do best to build a completely new computer. If you open up your case, you can probably read your motherboard name. Look up the motherboard and check the maximum supported RAM speed. Also, check to see how many RAM slots your motherboard has, how many are filled, and take out the RAM sticks to check the speed of them. (Be sure to ground yourself on the case so that you do not burn your components with static electricity.)

If you have 4 ram slots and only 2 are filled, you would do best to match RAM to the stuff you already have. You probably would do better with two 2GB sticks than two 2GB sticks and two 1GB sticks.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 10:06:39 PM

Also, I might have some extra DDR2 sitting around that I could mail to you. It would only cost me 88 cents, which is better than buying new DDR2. Your RAM is probably 1GB 533, 667, or 800MHz btw.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2011 10:27:31 PM

Oh, and Newegg is the cheapest place to buy RAM most of the time.
Score
January 23, 2011 10:58:09 PM

Okay. I checked my computer motherboard. I have four slots for RAM sticks and each slot can hold 1GB max each slot. I just put a new 1GB stick in each slot. Another member said I would do better running two 2GB sticks in the appropriate dual-channel slots. So I might do that in the future.
Well, so if I can't play BlackOps or Modern Warfare, what PC games can I run? You all seem way more experienced than me. I would love to hear which shooter games I CAN play. Thanks for your help guys.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2011 12:06:41 AM

"What games can I run?" is a complicated question. You can probably run all the games you listed at low to medium settings at 1024x768. A great resource for answering this question is YouGamer's Game-o-Meter: http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10424/

You can select games from the drop down list. You'll find that your PC will play games from 2 or 3 years ago best. Most of them recommend a faster CPU than you have--so overclocking would be handy. But I've ran lots of games on lower than recommended specs--they just don't look too pretty. Without spending a dime, you can attempt to OC your graphics and CPU. But make sure you read some tutorials online and keep an eye on your temps.

Don't bother spending the money on two 2GB sticks because it's not worth the $50+ to sink into an old computer. When you're ready to upgrade to a new PC, just post on Tom's Hardware and we'll have a bunch of good tips.
January 24, 2011 1:02:09 AM

Best answer selected by daveed12vas.
Score
January 24, 2011 1:10:08 AM

Okay, Thank you dalauder. You are right about my computer being old. It's about 2007 technology, so it's basically out-dated. And thanks for the GameOmeter link. I'm checking the link now.
I might see about tweaking my the numbers in my Bios, but that's pretty advanced for me. There's got to be some shooters that will work on this old computer still. So, I'll check around.
I might just have to buy a nice Alienware or simply buy a PS3 or what ever. Thanks for your help. Toms is a great sight.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2011 1:26:08 AM

That computer could run Half Life 2, BioShock, Battlefield 2, Fallout 3, World of Warcraft, Gears of War, & probably Call of Duty 5 pretty well. So you have the whole arsenal of Half Life 2/Source Engine mods available to you. Keep in mind that because you're playing 1024x768 instead of 1920x1080, you can probably run a whole lot more games than Game-O-meter says.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 24, 2011 10:20:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!