Sign in with
Your question

Random Computer Shutdown

Last response: in Components
June 28, 2011 8:21:16 PM

Hi guys, my roomates desktop computer is acting up and I need some suggestions.

Problem:
The computer will shut down/restart itself for no apparent reason. I can't find any real pattern to the shut downs. It might happen within the first few minutes of up time or anywhere up to an hour of being on.

Troubleshooting that I have done:
-removed harddrive, put in new harddrive, started installing windows, computer shut down just like before. So can't be the harddrive.
-Removed sticks of ram one at a time but computer still shuts down. Can't be a corrupt ram issue.
-removed video card and inserted a different video card. Computer still shuts down. Can't be the video card.

So pretty much I have concluded it must be a) power supply b) processor c) motherboard

What do you guys think should be my next step?

Notes:
-computer runs very cool, lots of extra fans
June 28, 2011 8:44:49 PM

sounds like processor, is it following proper shutdown proceders or is it just powering off?

if its hardware issue usally in windows you should get a bsod, if not and it just powers off its usually the power supply thats at fault becasue it shut down becasue it lost all power
June 28, 2011 8:57:58 PM

Thanks Shanky,

The computer does not follow proper shutdown procedure. It just instantly powers off/restarts. Would you say that is a possible symptom of a failing power supply? I've never dealt with a failed/failing power supply so I figured if it was the power supply that the computer would not even turn on.
!